Best Sop Player

Yes it is the same Jimmy that marched with the RI. Matadors. You should of seen him in his Jr Corps days he was so amazing.

Jimmy helped out 27th's hornline for a few years, and was one of the nicest people you'd ever meet. He had a very dry sense of humor, and he and I got along great the year I taught. (We used to try to talk the rest of the staff into turning "Gaite Parisienne" into an all out Spike Jones number). A little strange having Jimmy and Charlie Poole on staff, considering they were both 'Sader legends. An honor to have worked with both of them for sure!

Legolaus.... while I absolutely love your list and admit to being totally biased when it comes to Diamond Jim Brady... he did not march in 1979. 1978 was unfortunately his last marching year with the Bridgemen.

He did teach us in 1982 and for that I am eternally grateful!!!

just imagine if the Saints grew and they kept their 3 great soprano players...

this could have possibly been the greatest sop trio to ever, ever, EVER!!!!! play together.

I played next to Jim Bady in 1975 with the Saints.

http://www.saintsdrumcorps.com/

Rock

I know in 1985 Phantom had kind of a rough year. They worked their butts off and by the end of the year they were good. I actually liked their show this year.

At the beginning of the summer that year I remember Shaun Owens from the Madison Scouts making a comment about their lead soprano book. It was pretty high and challenging. Shaun said that he wouldn't want to have to play that. I remember thinking "Okay, you are Shaun Owens, god of soprano players!" I dont remember any fantastic solos, although I do remember a great duet in that show, but their lead sops must have been great players.

I believe Dave Robison was the upper part of that duet. They had the camera on the girl the whole time playing the bottom part. Dave started in the Saginaires organization and moved to Phantom in '84 I believe, but don't quote me on that. His younger brother Phil aka Flip Robison was a solist/duet for Madison in the early 90's in the City of Angels show. Flip and I marched together in Northern Aurora/Saginaires from 86-88 and we both went to Madison in 89. Dave was also a brass instructor for Northern Aurora in 86. Both great guys and fenom players!

Let me add to the chorus for Jeff Kievit. :grouphug:

I marched the DCI circuit in 1974 and was fortunate to be able to hear Jeff and Chris Metzger live several times. Both were truely amazing and on a level all their own. What I found astounding with Jeff, however, was the unbelievable airstream which this guy had. The rest of us "mere mortal" leads would just stare at each other in disbelief that he was doing this on the same horn we were playing. It quite simply sounded as though his horn was bigger than ours. The fellow was a veritable one man lead section. I have never heard anyone who could play at those volumes while maintaining quality and intonation, and yes as was mentioned earlier, with such consistency in all registers. Muchachoes had a great hornline that year and his sound just soared above it! :rock:

DutchBoy had a soloist in the early 90s that was good. I think it was 91, 92 or 93. Anyone remember anything about this player?

Roland Garceau (sp?) was the soloist in 1993 Dutch Boy. He is a heck of a player and NEVER missed! He went to BD in 1994 and played all the Double C's in the show.

Steve Dayken (sp?) was the soloist for Dutch Boy in the late 80's. Another heck of a player!