Best Sop Player

OK, Keith. Only you or perhaps Mike Boo or even Frank Dorritie would possibly know this one.

I had it on a Fleetwood recording ... my very first purchase of many to follow ... time: the 60s. The tune: OTL Captain From Castile Where: McCormick Place Chicago. Maybe it was St. Kevin's or the Cavaliers. Featured a wicked triple-tonguing soprano solo that ended somewhere around F or G above high C.

Who was that guy? Because it was he who solidified my need to be in Drum Corps.

Oh, yeah ... do Mellophone solos count? Because there have been a couple of woman behind those horns who have completely blown me away - oddly enough one from each coast I believe.

I think your talking about Jim Centerino from Boston. 69 & 70 I think.

I think your talking about Jim Centerino from Boston. 69 & 70 I think.

Yup ... that was Jim ... went on later to play with the RI Matadors along with Ritchee Price and Scott Friend ... all three are now in the Bugler's HOF ...

:-)

Yup ... that was Jim ... went on later to play with the RI Matadors along with Ritchee Price and Scott Friend ... all three are now in the Bugler's HOF ...

http://www.centorino.com/cproductions.htm

listen for yourself - he's as good as ever, and a very good composer... He and Richie Price together were the biggest 1,2 punch in drum corps until Richie teamed with Joey Pero 25 or so years later.

Jim is also famous for showing up at a show (Barnum?) in a helicapter after his wedding...

http://www.centorino.com/cproductions.htm

listen for yourself - he's as good as ever, and a very good composer... He and Richie Price together were the biggest 1,2 punch in drum corps until Richie teamed with Joey Pero 25 or so years later.

Jim is also famous for showing up at a show (Barnum?) in a helicapter after his wedding...

Everybody seems quite sure of themselves but are you really?

I would have competed against him in say the 1968 and 1969 World Open - in two different uniforms ...

I remember El Captain and Unsquare Dance from those years (Hava Nagila of course) but I never associated that great solo with Boston somehow ... they say things don't get better with age - they get different.

We had a soprano name of Jimmy Maldanado ... he's in the BDCHOF along with our superb Bari guy Rubin Aeriola.

Thanks guys!

I would have competed against him in say the 1968 and 1969 World Open - in two different uniforms ...

I remember El Captain and Unsquare Dance from those years (Hava Nagila of course) but I never associated that great solo with Boston somehow ... they say things don't get better with age - they get different.

We had a soprano name of Jimmy Maldanado ... he's in the BDCHOF along with our superb Bari guy Rubin Aeriola.

Thanks guys!

YES ... YES!!!! ... Maldonado and Ariola ... two of my fav players ... both also in the Buglers HOF ... I got to know both when they moved to Sky after the Brassmen ...

Thanks guys!

It was surely "Centipie" (as he was affectionately known) His triple tongueing was really smoking in a solo that was part of Conquest (after the opening fanfare)and the solo is still being played today (not quite with the same flair or consistency) by the Crusaders Senior Corps' Drum Major, Jack Laselva

Frank "Buzzy" Bergdoll, St. Kevin's Emerald Knights

Buzzy plays the French Horn .... and he is arguably the BEST over the years - undefeated I&E champion in every competition he entered since 1961 thru 2011!

Carry on.

As far a Seniors go, what's the actual name of that Skyliner soloist called "Sidemouth", and wasn't he recently hospitalized?? Any updates??

That was George Richardson...His nickname "Sidemouth" came from his mouthpiece position ..off center.Tradically George passed away a few years ago.I had the honor of playing in the same line with him in the Skyliners,and used to refer to him as the'"Eighth Wonder of the World" He could do it all...range,tonguing,volume,indurance,sweet tone,all played with incredable feeling.His talent and friendship was taken from all of us much too soon.....For my money HE WAS THE BEST. ....BOBBY B