Best Sop Player

HELLO!!!!!!

Sean Owens!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MADISON SCREAMER, early 80's....Strawberry Soup!! What a phenOMenal player...

What was that sop player's name with AVANT GARDE in 1983!???? Unbelievable!!!

John McCoy of course for VK---1983 and 1984

And...yes, Mike Collins...BD 86!! He's now assistant or co-director at Upland High School, one of the state's most competitive marching band programs. He's great...

There is more to playing then screaming thus why Chris Metzger was the best. He could scream with the best of them then sit back and play a balad like no one else in the history of the activity. What made it even more amazing is that it was all on the old piston and rotary horns. Imagine what he would sound like on todays horns?

I heard a recording of the Lynwood Diplomats from the early 70's on Diceman Radio once, they had a screamer that really surprised me when I head it.

Know what I find interesting about this thread? With very few (one, maybe?) exceptions, the players listed here are all from the 70's-80's. They played on lesser equipment yet apparently made a greater impact. Hmmmm, interesting.

My thinking is, there are probably some equally good soprano players in DCI today and in recent years. BUT, the music selections they have been forced to play have been either quite lame and unrecognizable or they did not feature sop solos, duets, trios, etc. It's a shame, really...

Know what I find interesting about this thread? With very few (one, maybe?) exceptions, the players listed here are all from the 70's-80's. They played on lesser equipment yet apparently made a greater impact. Hmmmm, interesting.

My thinking is, there are probably some equally good soprano players in DCI today and in recent years. BUT, the music selections they have been forced to play have been either quite lame and unrecognizable or they did not feature sop solos, duets, trios, etc. It's a shame, really...

Hmmmm, interesting. I absolutely agree. You really don't hear the long 3 minute solo's you heard in the 70's like Metzgers. These days all you hear are screamers and wailers standing on the front lines. Too bad. I am sure there are many VERY good players out there, they just don't get the chance on the field. Maybe at I & E's but I haven't been to one in years.

Dont know their names but the "Big" guy from 87 Spirit of ATlanta and that dude with the glasses from Florida Wave in 86. Any help with the names would be great!

anyone know the name of the madison soloist in 1995?? that guy was pretty amazing b**bs