Bugles...valve tunings of history

hey all......i was just wondering this and i think im assuming correctly......when bugles went to one valve did the first valve lower it a whole step like normal?..............then did the second valve allowed lower a half step?...and 1 and ahalf for the third valve added.......i never really thought about this until today...thanks for any help

The valve was added in 1929 and lowered the pitch by a fourth. It was known as a G-D bugle and a diatonic scale could be played with C, E, and G open, D, F, A. B with the valve pressed. The rotary or second valve was offered in F#, F, and E, lowing pitch a half step, full step, or minor third. The F rotary was common when first offered in the late 1950's, with the F# becoming fashionable in the 1960's. Many corps preferred using a slide which could lower the pitch either a half or full step.

In 1968, the F valve was legalized and all bugles quickly were converted to G-F-F#. That would be the equivalent of a standard brass instrument with first and second valve.

http://home.hvc.rr.com/jmitchell1/ for more information about early drum corps bugles.