DCA DVD/CD review

This review is something I have to do after listening to the CD's many times and watching the DVD many, many times already. You may not like what I say....this is only my opinion. This is very critical of all the shows, but this still was THE best DCA to watch that night (or any night now that I've got the DVD's).

Kingston Grenadiers - I was dissappointed with this show. Maybe they had a good prelim show to get them in finals.

M&M was - sorry - very sloppy. Drill was okay for this corp, featuring the drumline and guard at the right times. Drumline had some good work out there and looked very nice. Drum solo came across very well. Hornline should have played something more recognizable for the audience. They like the show, but it would have gotten a better reaction with better music. (The corp could have gotten 'into it' more). The guard has some surprisingly good spots in the show, nice work.

Hurricanes - Had to review this....they should have been in finals. Not as bad a show as I have heard about. M&M was pretty good and the drill was fine for this size corps. Vegas show was well done (contrary to the stories I've heard). The wedding and Elvis thing worked fine in the show. Again, something different for the audience to be entertained by. Hornline sounded pretty good until the end of the show. One spot (fast ending) they sounded extremely tired. The guard was much better then I anticipated-nice flag work-helped alot with the visual package.

Crusaders - Surprisingly good show. Nice to see and hear a classical show, a real treat for the audience. M&M was sloppy most of the time. Drill was nice though, until the very end - one horn player stopped too soon and really blew it. If he wasn't a rookie, he should have been shot! He should have been pushed out of line and the rest gone around him.

Drums had a great solo spot and the pit was one of the best of the night, worked well with the corps not overbearing. Guard had a bad night, should have been much better. Hornline had some real nice parts and blended well. Very musical at times. Best warm-up of the finals!

CorpVets - Good show for this corps. Would have liked music that the audience recognizes a little better - maybe would have given the people more to cheer which in turn would have boosted the morale of the corp, thus a higher place? Nice solo work throughout the whole show. I should watch this one again, because nothing is standing out in my mind about this corps. I remember the guard though, really nice job. Hornline looks like they enjoy the show. Sorry, but I will watch them a couple more times before I can make any comments.

Bushwackers - A trip to the moon? What is this about? I was soon to find out - WOW - nice freakin' show. Talk about fast drills, Bush and Cabs had the two fastest drills at DCA this year. Bush just looked like they were cleaner doing it. Very impressive drill/show. Good M&M job and they kept you interested the whole time. Where did this guard come from? Should have been higher in the standings for sure. Sharp looking flag work and role playing by the 'astronaut' was super. This guard did a lot for the overall design of this show. Hornline was small but very clean, but couldn't hum the music afterwards. They played it so well though, not to mention how difficult it was, I'm sure. A lot of backward movement which is difficult, I wonder if they got credit for it? Drumline was great, lots and lots of notes -WOW - amazing show. Ten more horns would have put them in the running for top spot. What a treat for the audience - AGAIN.

Renegades - LOUD? - YES! But......slow moving when playing, or at a halt which explains the loudness.

M&M not bad, but sloppy, spacing a big problem. Not much demand in the drill (watch the other corps). Hornline was powerful - mello feature goes without saying- WOW - hi-light of the night, not clean, but entertaining. In your face at end of show and standing still to blow your face off. Crowd loved it, but seriously?-not too musical, just entertaining and that's what we pay for. Thank you! Pit, too many toys, legos must go, very distracting from music. Pit must learn blending.

Guard was very nice, didn't over do anything and came across very well. Nice uni's too. Drumline was fine, nothing outstanding, but placed well in the drill.

Overall, GREAT show for the audience!!

Buccaneers - anothe nice change for the audience to watch. Very nice show-beautiful drill and done well. M&M was good and exciting too. Nice pictures on the field. Nautical theme is best for this corps. Guard seems to enjoy this show and did a very good job 'working it' and role playing.

Bushwackers cymbal line was GREAT, but Buccs were GREATER. WOW, they really work hard out there. Congratulations, what a show they put on....best ever. Drumline was great (when they played). Ballad is too long to NOT play, but this line is at least doing something while not playing. Good funeral scene role playing by the drumline. Drum solo was outstanding and exciting to watch. Hornline was very good too-small size didn't make much difference here. Difficult parts and weak at times (even standing still), 10-20 more horns and there would be another corp fighting for that top spot!

Drunkin Sailor was acted out well by the whole corps - very enjoyable show. USe of the field was incredible for this size corps! Can't wait for next year.

Minnesota Brass - M&M was so very clean! I'm amazed (ashamed) the judge put them so low in execution. Spacing was great compared to everyone else - where's the problem? Excitement maybe?

Hornline was good, but un-interesting in spots. They didn't sell the show. Drill was very nice to watch and ending was great to see-worked well. Drumline was good and had some real cool moves, just nothing spectacular. Just good and clean. Guard was good - Pit was good - Overall the corps moves and plays well- not the best- but they do play well. Maybe 3rd? Hard to tell.

Empire - Very good M&M and a nice drill especially the winding around the props - nice look. Hornline was weak - not only in numbers - but there was some un-intelligable spots throughout the show. (The soloists have seen better shows, Im sure) Middle voices had problems with runs and baritones were really weak when they needed to be strong. Drumline was quite good, just not showey enough. Pit was good and blended well with the hornline (best of the night?) Guard was REALLY working! A few noticeable mistakes at the very beginning, should have never happened with a top-notch corp. This was like watching a Broadway show. This guard had the most work while moving award for DCA. Whoo-hoo. They also had the best flag work for the ending of a show.

AGAIN, another extrodinary show for the audience to watch! What a night!

Syracuse Brigadiers - Surprise - they use the field more than I heard they did to say the least - WOW. Guard was fine, but nothing thrilling. M&M was very good and the drill was written perfectly for this corps. Where were the judges sitting? Hornline has been better in the past, middle voices were only fair compared to past years. Sorry. Ballad number was THE BEST one at DCA. Sorry Cabs. Superb bari soloist!! Drumline really cooks. Love the way this line moves, plays and looks. This show needs to be seen many times to grow on you, then it's great to watch.

The reason for not winning? They didn't sell it to the audience - the excitement level is missing from the show. They had to follow Empires Broadway show and that hurt their excitement level I think.

It was just time for someone else to win and Cabs had the excitement edge - that's all. If Empire/Bush/Buccs had bigger hornlines things would have been much different.

Caballeros - First off, no offense, but why didn't someone tell the drum major how he looked in that cape outfit? 'nuff said.

M&M was sloppy at best-individuals wobbled instead of marching and spacing was a terrible problem (because of the fast drill). How the judgte saw that show as being so clean is beyond me - ensemble wise - someone should check the rule on that. Go ahead and watch the video again and again....you'll see.

Hornline was the best that night. Not the cleanest, but they put on the best show. Drumline was okay, but had problems marching and playing at the same time. Pit was very good and blended nicely with the show. G E wise, yes, the best at DCA.

Guard wise, yes, the best at DCA. Guard had the most exciting ending moving from front to back while the horns made the block and opened that up. WOW what an ending!! Perfect!

Overall 1st place (a gift perhaps?). Naw, it was someone else's turn and Cabs were the only choice. They won it fair and square. THIS YEAR. ^0^

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a review that really broke it down for all sections and was highly informative - didn't concentrate on one area of a corps more than another. :)

he called it as he saw it and i, for one, appreciate that.

thank you for taking the time to do so. :)