2003 Finals CDs Review

Phantom Regiment:

They are very loud.  The tuba intonation stuff is very exposed in the main hit of the Canon..almost offensive.  Finals night, I thought they had the 4th best brassline, but now I think they should have been 5th

Some of you people kill me. I've read various comments such as, "almost offensive," "almost too loud," "almost out of control," etc. etc. etc... You remind me of the story of Louis XIV when his carriage pulled up precisely on time, and he huffed, " I almost had to wait!" Its called drum corps!!! Its supposed to be very loud. (By the way, the only thing I heard out of control during the Regiment's performance on Finals night was the audience.)

Recently, someone sent an email to Elvis Costello, saying (paraphrasing, here), "I recently attended one of your concerts, and it was so loud! I felt like I was being assaulted all night! And at times there was distortion in the amps. I've been to two of your concerts, but I can assure you, this was my last!" Elvis' response - "Its called rock 'n roll...Bye, bye." Drum corps is a heart-centered, adrenaline-rush experience. As long as it hasn't been entirely castrated by all the wanna be concert band clinicians out there, its supposed to skate right on the dangerous edge of being out of control. Just like rock 'n roll. That's why the 2003 Phantom Regiment consistently connected with the crowds they played to like nobody else.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phantom Regiment:

They are very loud.  The tuba intonation stuff is very exposed in the main hit of the Canon..almost offensive.  Finals night, I thought they had the 4th best brassline, but now I think they should have been 5th

Some of you people kill me. I've read various comments such as, "almost offensive," "almost too loud," "almost out of control," etc. etc. etc... You remind me of the story of Louis XIV when his carriage pulled up precisely on time, and he huffed, " I almost had to wait!" Its called drum corps!!! Its supposed to be very loud. (By the way, the only thing I heard out of control during the Regiment's performance on Finals night was the audience.)

Recently, someone sent an email to Elvis Costello, saying (paraphrasing, here), "I recently attended one of your concerts, and it was so loud! I felt like I was being assaulted all night! And at times there was distortion in the amps. I've been to two of your concerts, but I can assure you, this was my last!" Elvis' response - "Its called rock 'n roll...Bye, bye." Drum corps is a heart-centered, adrenaline-rush experience. As long as it hasn't been entirely castrated by all the wanna be concert band clinicians out there, its supposed to skate right on the dangerous edge of being out of control. Just like rock 'n roll. That's why the 2003 Phantom Regiment consistently connected with the crowds they played to like nobody else.

And this mentality, my friends, is exactly why some HS band directors won't let their kids march drum corps until after they graduate. Unless, of course, they go to a corps run by those "wanna be concert band clinicians" who might actually be there to teach the kids something about making the right sounds with their horns.

Why is loud good? Why can't it be Quality over Quantity??

PHREAK

Phantom Regiment:

They are very loud.  The tuba intonation stuff is very exposed in the main hit of the Canon..almost offensive.  Finals night, I thought they had the 4th best brassline, but now I think they should have been 5th.  The Drumline is greatly improved and comes across well on the CDs.

I love you for that.

You are one of the few that agree with myself in that Phantom's hornline wasn't all it was cracked up to be.

Thank you.

Count me in, as well. Good, no question, and at times even excellent. But not the second coming, as you would think from reading these boards.

Im with you guys. They were loud and played good music, bout it.

And um, I want the finals CD's.

Edited by TubaDevil

...how quickly the tide does turn

...how quickly the tide does turn

Nah, it's just voices that haven't really been heard yet, since the crush of Phantom phanatics has been so overwhelming over the summer.

Phantom Regiment:

And this mentality, my friends, is exactly why some HS band directors won't let their kids march drum corps until after they graduate. Unless, of course, they go to a corps run by those "wanna be concert band clinicians" who might actually be there to teach the kids something about making the right sounds with their horns.

Why is loud good? Why can't it be Quality over Quantity??

PHREAK

Wow.

I agree with you completely.

Anyone can play loud. How is that supposed to impress me? I was very impressed with the sound Phantom put out... but not over their whole show, like the corps ahead of them.

And this mentality, my friends, is exactly why some HS band directors won't let their kids march drum corps until after they graduate.  Unless, of course, they go to a corps run by those "wanna be concert band clinicians" who might actually be there to teach the kids something about making the right sounds with their horns. 

Why is loud good?  Why can't it be Quality over Quantity??

PHREAK

Uh, perhaps you forget that the Regiment had two of the finest Tuba clinicians in the country working with them, who, fortunately, realized that power is part of the excitement of drum corps.

I came from a very good high school band program, but our director was not threatened by drum corps - in fact he encouraged participation in it. I entered the Phantom Regiment a very good baritone player, and emerged an excellent baritone player. And make no mistake, we played very loudly in those days as well. I learned more about proper brass technique from the staff of the Regiment than I ever learned from very accomplished "legitimate" academicians - and that is why they are afraid. DCI should never have gotten into the business of appeasing insecure band directors, who have a helluva lot of nerve telling their students what they can do on their own time with their own lives. If they had any confidence in their teaching abilities, they would realize there is nothing to fear from drum corps. Every musician I have ever known has gained immeasurably from participating in drum corps - in terms of musicianship, in terms of life experience, and in terms of having the opportunity to sing with their instrument full throttle and full of joy.

Why is loud good? It is one of the glories of drum and bugle corps that it is (until this coming year, alas) officially the world's loudest unamplified musical art form. The sheer emotional power generated by drum and bugle corps is unique in the world of music. It can make an audiences hair stand on end and bring them to tears at the same time. You might as well ask, "why do cars at the Indianapolis 500 have to go so fast? Safe driving is far superior" or "why climb mountains - a walk up a hill is less dangerous?"

And why do you think quality and quantity are mutually exclusive? Part of the quality of drum corps IS its quantity!

Edited by DonPRBari

I agree with Dan. Loud IS good. And it can be great as well. Especially when its a hornline like Phantoms'. This corps proveed once again that you canbe Loud AND Controlled as well. Thats how they do it. And the restatement of Canon at the end of the Show ? OMG. b**bs

Jim Wolf

71-77 N. J. Black Watch

I believe that what you hear when you are there live and what you hear when you are listening a professional recording can be very different. I will wait for my CD's to be the judge, but what I saw in Orlandom from my vanatge point, Phantom Regiment had the 4th, maybe even the 3rd best hornline at finals.

I no longer play music as much as I did, but as a fan I know what I liked and the PR show was the only show in quite a few years that brought an emotional respose from me. I loved this show, even more that the top 3, to me it had more of what a great drum corps show should have, musically that is. On finals night this past August, the Phantom show was the best show that I have heard in a great number of years. That is my unqualified opinion on the matter.

As for the post that started this thread, you have your opinions thats great, but please do not say that if we flame you we are stupid, that just draws out the worst in people and makes you look bad. B)