2003 Finals CDs Review

the mics can lie...Cadets 89 drumline. clean live dirty on cd's/tapes.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're talking hornlines though...a mic can't create a fracked note or cause overblowing or cause the line to play out of tune. Phantom had a good line this summer, very good. They weren't the best, though. And the three times I heard them late in the season last year (West Chester, Semis and Finals), I heard some nasty sounds in there.

Edited by raphael18

When I listen to drum corps the thing I like the most about them is that I can hear the excitement and the intensity in the sound. Almost all of great recordings we all listen from the mid to early 90's and love are amazing shows - but have a few minor flaws in them. Intonation problems, or a baritone player who just ate a few too many Wheaties. However, I would not trade the intensity of these shows for "perfect" brass performence. I would not give up "almost" offensive sounds for BD 96 or PR 93. It is excitement and pure adrenaline, crecendos that seem to be as loud as they can be, and then somehow get louder, screaming trumpets, and contra hits that almost knock you over, sound that you can FEEL - THAT's why I love drum corps. Perfectly clean mello licks, and chords that sound more like organs than bugles, 10 snares that sound like 1, and perfection makes me come back for more also. However, I would never ever trade a perfectly clean and boring show for an exciting and entertaining show with flaws.

So - perhaps the contras were "almost" offensive in the hit in cannon. But I wouldn't trade that in a second for the energy in the Lords Prayer, or the intensity in the closer. That energy and intensity is what made PR's brassline so good - that is why they made people cry. Not because the contras played perfectly in tune C's.

I don't give a #### about a couple of tuba flubs.

They had an amazing show, an amazing year and the crowd feeding out of their hands. I haven't got the finals CD's yet, but I do have the mid-seasons and I listen to their show the most- it too has rough moments but I don't care. You can feel the excitement that the members feel when they are performing.

Loud or not, its one of the better shows we've seen in a long time and it brought some additional excitement to the competition.

chill out people... you're acting like Phantom Regiment is the only corps he had a negitive comment for.

The guy is only saying what he thought from what he heard on the CD's. That is all people. He did say that on the CD's he heard some bad sounds. This topic is completly off topic now cause everyone took offense that someone might not love how phantoms hornline sounded this year. Thats not even the point of the topic. And like other people said a bad attack is a bad attack even on a mic. and when something is live you miss a lot of stuff cause you are caught up in the moment. So to say your memory of a flawless clean show that you saw 3 months ago is more accurate than a CD you can hear right now is a little bit ubsurd. You know what I can remember from shows I watched this summer? Nothing. I doubt everyones memories is that great. And also if someone has something bad to say about a corps you like relax thats their opinion. If they think phantom should be 5th in brass than thats there opinion. I certiantly don't agree with all the stuff people have said about my corps on here but I just let it go.

agreed

Edited by spiritsop01