2003 Finals CDs Review

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those yet to get their CD, don't drink the... "I'm going to sound cool and smart by bashing one of the all time greatest drum corps performances" Kool-Aid!

Rest assured, listening with an open mind (or even closed mind), you will feel the power which was admired by the general masses across the country. Let's face it, PR was not, "Well how about that, listen to them" while sipping tea, it was more like "HOLY CR@P!!! DID YOU FEEL THAT?!?!" then doing a keg stand!

General musings of the CD:

One of the coolest fan responses at 10:17 of BD

Malaguena!!!

BAC made some drastic changes post San Antonio

For those yet to get their CD, don't drink the... "I'm going to sound cool and smart by bashing one of the all time greatest drum corps performances" Kool-Aid!

Rest assured, listening with an open mind (or even closed mind), you will feel the power which was admired by the general masses across the country. Let's face it, PR was not, "Well how about that, listen to them" while sipping tea, it was more like "HOLY CR@P!!! DID YOU FEEL THAT?!?!" then doing a keg stand!

General musings of the CD:

One of the coolest fan responses at 10:17 of BD

Malaguena!!!

BAC made some drastic changes post San Antonio

What is this cool BD fan response???

It is a group of guys who say a brisk "your number 1" in the silence before the closing statement. Gotta hear it to know what I mean.

Thats funny. I didn't bash the regiment. I merely stated that you could in fact hear the problems. There WERE problems. THAT is FACT. Now if I would have said "####, PR sucked this year" THEN I would have been bashing them!

PHREAK

It is a group of guys who say a brisk "your number 1" in the silence before the closing statement. Gotta hear it to know what I mean.

Great!!...more freaks getting on the CD!!! <**>

Thats funny. I didn't bash the regiment. I merely stated that you could in fact hear the problems. There WERE problems. THAT is FACT. Now if I would have said "####, PR sucked this year" THEN I would have been bashing them!

PHREAK

Fair enough. It just seemed that the tone of the thread was escalating to bashing mode. The snow ball gets bigger as it rolls along sometimes and it turns into something far from reality.

Power balanced with extreme control has always been the challenge. It takes forever to perfect...then you age out (or go to Broadway)!

Great!!...more freaks getting on the CD!!! <**>

Just IMHO, it is actually appropriate. Sometimes the crowd adds to the recording, like the "Gail is watching" comment after the SCV Fog City opener.

Edited by stockman365

Maybe a bit off topic, but it's funny to me that people complain all the time on here about DCI changing for the worst and focusing on the wrong things, which some people say has resulted in the activity becoming much less exciting, and then when PR does a show where they play with old time power and energy (the antithesis of the Cavaliers if you ask me), many people complain that it is "out of control." Both sides are entitled to their opinion, I'm just saying that it's obviously impossible to please everybody. So, if you don't like a certain corps brass, like some of the people in this thread don't particularly like PR, or I don't particularly like Cavaliers, it's not necessarily because one was better or worse, it might just be because the two hornlines value different things, PR valuing power and Cavies valuing ubercleanliness. 'Cause to say PR wasn't as good because they weren't "taught the right sounds with their horns" is flat out RIDICULOUS. They were taught by two of the finest tuba players, and, at that, brass musicians on the planet. To question the pedagogy of Sheridan and Pilafian is just silly and makes you look ignorant.

Why is loud good?  Why can't it be Quality over Quantity??

You might want to ask Shostakovich, Dvorak, Janacek, Bartok, John Adams, Stravinky, Beethoven and many other composers that very question.

Have you ever heard the Chicago Symphony playing the Planets or Shostakovich 1? When those guys open up it is the loudest thing you've ever heard. And it's great. I doubt that any of the band clinicians that know so much about quality would ever say that "this is the wrong way to play" about these performances.

Volume and quality playing can do and should exist together. Bad playing is bad playing, loud or soft.

out,

Derrick