2003 Finals CDs Review

Ok...so how would you correct that? The corps moves...the mics don't. The sound is going to come closer and further away from the mics at all times throughout the show.

By editing the echo/reverb out.

It doesn't work that way... it's not the echo that makes things sound dirty, it's microphone phasing...caused by the microphones being sometimes large distances apart.

The only true way to completely solve this is to have a monaural recording from a single point microphone. However, this does not lead to a good ensemble sound. Hornlines sound better when the mics are spaced farther apart, drumlines sound better when the mics are spaced closer together, and the soloist mics, well, they just add into the fray. It's a messy situation, and no recording, however close, can perfectly replicate the sound that the live listener hears. The technology just does not exist.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, if you can't bash your own, you can't bash anyone. I too loved the show BUT, the sops during the "LOUD" part in Canon, to put this politically correct, where playing beyond the capabilities of the instrument, OR for those of you not PC, they were OVERBLOWING / BLASTING. Since they were pretty much standing still at the time, there really was no need.

Now, flame away!

Rocketman

ampssuck ampssuck ampssuck ampssuck ampssuck

lol

would you have it any other way?

*meant in the joking friendly sort of way

I agree that there's a line, and that it should never be crossed.

That said; more power to those that explore the envelope of their instrument.

Edited by raphael18

not gonna say whether or not it was crossed, since my memory is fading, but there's a very fine line between awesome-loud and ugly-loud. Sheer volume is important, but it should not come at the expense of a controlled sound.

there's a very fine line between awesome-loud and ugly-loud. Sheer volume is important, but it should not come at the expense of a controlled sound.

Oh, I'd say this was belly-up to the line with just a slight overhang. Controlled sound? I wouldn't go there, it was blasting! Ugly blasting!

Sorry,

Rocketman - blasting his own.

ampssuck ampssuck ampssuck ampssuck ampssuck

And this mentality, my friends, is exactly why some HS band directors won't let their kids march drum corps until after they graduate. Unless, of course, they go to a corps run by those "wanna be concert band clinicians" who might actually be there to teach the kids something about making the right sounds with their horns.

Why is loud good? Why can't it be Quality over Quantity??

PHREAK

This is precisely what is wrong in DCI....the true heart of Drum Corps is the emotion and the "moment", captured and involved in a show...some people say its magic...

You obviously dont get it---drum corps is not about intonation, articulation, and those other factors that judges use to separate the corps. Its the heat of the moment, the "art" that makes a performance unforgettable. I defy anyone out there to tell me the greatest moments in drum corps history involved technical perfection over raw emotion and energy!

I'd have to agree with Jeff. The sops and contras pushed too hard in the opening hit. There were also a couple instances of individual sounds jumping out of the ensemble in "Wild Nights" and in the last chord of the show.

However...I will take a little bit of overhype anyday instead of the ultra-refined, not-willing-to-push-the-limits approach to brass playing that has become so popular. We have to remember which activity we're in. It's drum corps. Drum corps hornlines play loud. They also play with a little edge. We shouldn't allow ourselves to be defined by namby-pamby band directors.

So, yeah, Regiment's hornline could have displayed a little more control and still been RFL (really f****** loud). That is a fair statement. Overall, they were still fantastic.

SUTA, my brothers and sisters. B)

Michael Oldemeyer

If you get a chance, check out the semi's show, technically speaking it was a better show.