2003 Finals CDs Review

deftguy, is this Mike a friend of yours? You know a lot of people named Mike. This Mike fella gets to listen to a lot of corps up close, lucky guy.

Anyways, Im curious as to why this thread was started, considering its a 2003 Finals CD's review.....but submitted only with a couple of corps reviewed.

Oh well.

I still want the CD's.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

with you on that one, i'm suprised that a CD review of corps outside of the top 5 hasn't been done yet.

I'm also suprised that this thread took the turn that it did. Instead of just taking it as someones opinion and leaving him to it, people got outright offensive. Nowhere in his post did I see him saying something along the lines of "Regiment sucks" or anything blatently inflamatory like that. People simply need to lighten up, everyone won't always agree with your opinion... it happens, that's life.

Waiting for the CDs sucks.

Waiting for the CDs sucks.

This is the single most accurate thing that's been said in the whole thread! :lol:

:mmm: ^OO^ :angry::angry::angry::whip: b**bs :angel:

:spit: woohoo! :mmm:

Hey Phreak, what I mean is you are disallowing the style in improvisation of certain players, like maybe an Ornette Coleman or a John Coltrane that used nasty sounds as part of their style. Those are sounds that need to be emulated and practiced. Even in a jazz band rehearsal ( i HATE the term stage band - itsn't a wind ensemble on stage as well??) or performance, if you are saying that a certain sound is bad, but is styilistically correct, where does that leave the student?

Here is an attempt to review some more details of the 2003 championship CDs. This is my 15th set of CDs and these ranks in my top 5 in both recording quality the quantity of enjoyable performances. 2002 being the best and 1994 was the worst (in recording quality)...

Blue Devils - the clarity of the show shines in the recording. The amazing thing is the balance between percussion and the horn line...even through the heavy sections. The guard's scat session is very clear on the recording.

Cavaliers - the pit adds a lot of texture to the performance. The upper horn line is phenomenal!

Cadets - there is not a recording of the warm up as was hoped. This is "my" favorite version of Malaguena. You can clearly understand their high percussion award.

PR - Powerful on the CD! The energy level coming through on the CD is the best I have heard. I think the bells in the pit during Wild Nights 1 overshadows the clarity of the upper brass...some of the best brass of the year...too bad it is not apparent. Visit the Lord's Prayer and the opening of Cannon and you will witness great clarity from the horn line. Congratulations to the performers and designers for redefining classic drum corps.

Santa Clara Vanguard - to be honest, their opening minute sounds unfortunately rather "dainty" following the Regiment. This show, as well as other recent SCV shows has grown on me from each listen. The uniqueness of the mood set by the percussion line comes across nicely.

BAC - The intro to Malaguena sounds like the Mario Brothers entered the Tijuana level of the game. Although, I like their transitions between pieces the best of any corps this year.

Bluecoats - The balance and dynamics among all sections comes across great on the recording.

Madison - to be honest, the recording is great, but not night and day different from recent years. A true testament to the status of visual performance in the final placement equation. An improvement is how the intangible madison attitude comes through the performance style once again.

Crossmen - The closer really grooves.

Crown - the thing that sets this corps apart is their percussion on the CD.

Spirit - you can tell when the Jim Ott flag comes to the field according to the crowd reaction.

Magic of Orlando - have only listened once...sorry

I always enjoy getting my CDs in the Fall...if I got them right after the tour, then it would make the wait till the following June that much longer.

Hey Phreak, what I mean is you are disallowing the style in improvisation of certain players, like maybe an Ornette Coleman or a John Coltrane that used nasty sounds as part of their style. Those are sounds that need to be emulated and practiced. Even in a jazz band rehearsal ( i HATE the term stage band - itsn't a wind ensemble on stage as well??) or performance, if you are saying that a certain sound is bad, but is styilistically correct, where does that leave the student?

By your post, it sounds like you're implying that playing with a bad sound could be considered 'stylistically correct' for Phantom's classical show... :angry: