2003 Finals CDs Review

... my only complaint about the disc. You don't REALLY hear the crowd reaction very well at the end of Phantom's show like it is in the DCI video snipit. If you listen closely, you can hear them, but I think Tom Blair had to tone it down a big when he mixed it. Otherwise, we wouldn't have been able to hear the simply awesome ending that that show. :)

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One more thing regarding recordings and their infalibility. Is there anyone who derives as much satisfaction from hearing the recordings as they do from hearing the same corps live? Probably not. And that's all the evidence I need of how much the recordings distort reality.

One problem with your logic. Live you are hearing and SEEING the corps. Using both the eyes and the ears has a smoothing effect on both. In other words, you hear less detail while the eyes are processing the visual, and the you see less detail win processing the audio. That is the way the ear/brain works. Take away the visuals, and the audio portion comes to the forefront revealing more detail. This is less brain processing and allows for greater concentration. Try watching a movie in 5.1 digital without the picture, and with the picture and you will know what I mean. :ph34r:

So are you saying you'd just as soon hear a recording as hear the Cavies live? While you are no doubt correct about the influence of visual stimulus, surely you don't claim that even the best recordings duplicate 100% of the live audio. The mikes miss more than just the video.

HH

I don't think you said anything in your entire post that was correct, but this quote is the biggest laugh of them all.

To make a long story short, a clean snareline can be made to sound "dirty" by inappropriate selection, placement and/or mixing of microphones. And that's just one of a long list of problems that inept audio engineers can cause.

Ok...so how would you correct that? The corps moves...the mics don't. The sound is going to come closer and further away from the mics at all times throughout the show.

DCI Phreak,

I liked your review of the shows you did listen to. I'll add my $0.02 in.

Of all the musical books, Phantom had the most exciting and listenable. Cadets were a close second with BAC not far behind.

I couldn't tell you what Cavaliers, BD or Vanguard were playing. BD had done it again being the cut-n-paste corps (and winning at that).

Ok...so how would you correct that? The corps moves...the mics don't. The sound is going to come closer and further away from the mics at all times throughout the show.

By editing the echo/reverb out.

DCI Phreak,

I liked your review of the shows you did listen to. I'll add my $0.02 in.

Of all the musical books, Phantom had the most exciting and listenable. Cadets were a close second with BAC not far behind.

I couldn't tell you what Cavaliers, BD or Vanguard were playing. BD had done it again being the cut-n-paste corps (and winning at that).

I agree that Phantom had the best book.

Vanguard is a close second. I can't stop listening to them, and definitely can't get that first movement out of my head. The raw energy and momentum of that show, especially the closer, is amazing.

Spin Cycle is a definite disappointment. I like the show, though I liked last year's better. The problem is that the midseason recordings were much better than the finals CD's. Some of it's the show edits that I don't like, but a large part of it is that you can't hear the music that's being played. This is a recording issue, and it's an issue on Vanguard's recording, too.

Blue Knights sound great! ####, I wish they'd made finals so I coudl see them again on my DVD.