BD Penalty?

I have talked to a few people not from this area who have heard this same story. I would like to ask if any one else has ever heard it ?...And here we go...

1980 Blue Devils were said to have been caught (I think on video after all was over) playing on, at some point, 3 valves or trumpets or some sort of horn that was illegal.

I'm not sure how much of a penalty this would have cost them, and I tend not to believe it. However, while speaking to someone on our staff, they said "it was too late now, would you want to be the winner 2 months after the fact, it would have mattered the night of, but it's just too late and over now". (paraphrasing here)

So, has any one ever heard this, or something along this story line, or like sooooo many stories in drum corps, they are just stories?? b**bs (more than likely) :angry:

I also want to know if BDs 2 or 3 pieces of dropped equipment were accounted for!?

I realize this was a long time ago, and when I watch the video, and I mean no disrespect to anyone, I'm amazed that Bridgemen beat Spirit, and that we beat Spirit. :angry:

I realize it was very, very close. All of the top 4, but I believe Spirit's show just screamed emotion for Jim Ott and the year they had. Not that emotion wins it, but they were awesome....and I wonder if that was their best show of the year?

The other thing is, it wasn't as though one corps was the strongest at everything, we shared "the best" of trophies.......and by the time those were announced, well, I believe a lot of people were very confused!

So, I didn't make this up, it's a very bizarre story, probably nothing more than wishful thinking on either a marcher or fans part, but it's interesting to think about.

P.S. I love Blue Devils 1980, not their best year IMO, although many say they set the standard and raised the bar that year, they just weren't as perfect as they usually were/are, and if the M & M judges were where I was in my living room with the guard up close and personal, I count 4 ticks in the OTL when 4 flags become rifles, their form is incorrect as well as intervals and while rifles using white streamer things - 4 ticks just moving off spots to catch them) I guess that's why the tick system was also subjective as taught to me by Mike (Cadets 72)???? Depends on where the judge is, what they see, what they consider a tick....sorry, this ended up as a book, but woo that Gene from the left coast!! :sshh:

I love the Blue Devils!!!!!! Go and repeat in 04...

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ummmm.....we did have a .1 penalty at Finals, but it had nothing to do with illegal equipment, nor did we use illegal equipment.......that's almost laughable. I would LOVE to hear who exactly "saw" something on the video, and then see it myself.

I think I can field this one.........

The sopranos that the 80 Blue Devils received.....and used throughout the 80's had a tuning slide that adjusted *all* notes.

There was a screw on these horns, if removed, permitted certain notes to be played. These notes WERE NOT used by the Blue Devils soprano line....although.....there was another corps that had similar sopranos where the screw was removed........they never got inspected.

I digress.

Every year that I marched in the Blue Devils.......every year.......at one or more regionals, a random Blue Devil soprano player was pulled aside and his/her horn inspected. The inspections were such that a judge had to be satisfied no "illegal" notes would be played.....ie....the screw in place and the tuning slide did not surpass it.

One judge...or some body....commented these inspections were caused due to complaints from the Phantom Regiment.....we had an intense rivalry at the time and believed it.

To us, it was simply part of the game.....we had nothing to hide and would joke about whether or not the show was "big" enough to warrant an inspection.

Edited by bd5times

One judge...or some body....commented these inspections were caused due to complaints from the Phantom Regiment.....we had an intense rivalry at the time and believed it.

We had a rivalry with Phantom? Do tell!!

B) :P :grrr: ^0^ :grrr: :P B)

That's a funny story - but we had nothing illegal on the field.

Does anyone remember what the penalty was for?

Yes a dropped rifle, 4 counts of double time and down it went. About 30 seconds before the gun went off! It went over the front side line.

But there was also a flag drop, which you can see very clearly, but the lady picked it up so quickly it was not caught. Good going!

Gee and I thought the rivalry was with us in 80, seeing that "Regiment" came I think 5th. They were very good that year, I really think everyone was very good that year. A very good showing!

Edited by LancerFi

:grrr::grrr::grrr: P.S. It's all part of the game. B) :P :huh::grrr:

I think I can field this one.........

The sopranos that the 80 Blue Devils received.....and used throughout the 80's had a tuning slide that adjusted *all* notes.

There was a screw on these horns, if removed, permitted certain notes to be played. These notes WERE NOT used by the Blue Devils soprano line....although.....there was another corps that had similar sopranos where the screw was removed........they never got inspected.

I digress.

Every year that I marched in the Blue Devils.......every year.......at one or more regionals, a random Blue Devil soprano player was pulled aside and his/her horn inspected. The inspections were such that a judge had to be satisfied no "illegal" notes would be played.....ie....the screw in place and the tuning slide did not surpass it.

To us, it was simply part of the game.....we had nothing to hide and would joke about whether or not the show was "big" enough to warrant an inspection.

Thank you for clarifying bd5times, as for you BDL, keep it in your pants......it's a discussion forum. :) .....always on the d......um.... :sshh: nevermind

:grrr: Edited by LancerFi

B)

Edited by LancerFi

wow my computa's broken, I keep getting an error, but my posts just keep adding up?? Help me I'm drowning.....