What did happen to Suncoast Sound?

Yes, Suncoast was on the verge of collapse in 88 and 89 (the year I marched). Being a DCI rookie I was naive to the really bad conditions, but like Marwan said, we simply busted our ##### and about 2 weeks before finals, the "Sound" finally locked.

But in the fall of 89, I attended a meeting called by Bob Cotter, the new (and original) exec. They had basically fired Robert Smith, Frank Williams and Kevin Ford, thinking that the returning corps members would return faithfully. They did not. Most followed Kevin and Robert to Magic and Suncoast folded for a couple of years. Their top 12 days were done.

Key takeaways: Don't put creative types in charge of finances cause we don't do well with that, but also, don't fire some of the best staff in DCI cause you mind kill your corps

• 2 years later...

I marched my only year with Suncoast in 1989. There were always financial difficulties, the only time they got some money was from a two year grant from Circle K in 86-87. They blew it all on a west coast tour in 86.

but in 89, we were so behind that we had to default on our first few shows. I remember standing at street lights on Tampa, in late June, in a wool uniform, taking donations.

July 1 was our first show with about 12 holes in the drill, scoring in the low 50’s. By semi-finals, we had broken 90 and literally filled our last hole 2 days prior.

It wasn’t until the next month in September when Suncoast died. During the 89 season, we rehired Bob Cotter, the original exec for Suncoast. At the end of the year, he looked at Robert Smith, Frank Williams, Kevin Ford and Carl Lowe, and said, “you are the least respected staff in drum corps, you’re fired.”

Smith, Lowe and Ford went over to Orlando, created Magic, taking almost ALL of the returning vets with them. Williams was scooped up by the cadets and won a brass caption and a ring in 1990.

Magic went to semi-finals in 1990, Cotter and Suncoast folded.

So in short, Cotter fired two future DCI hall of famers, brought in his old buddies from the Largo band of gold, and proceeded to drive Suncoast into the ground.

I followed Magic to Orlando to be on their staff, and I was at the meeting where Cotter introduced his new staff, and I remember every single vet follow RWS right out the door.

Bottom line, Cotter killed Suncoast.

Brian Cook

On 11/5/2003 at 5:10 PM, OrlandoContraAlum said:

And I can add to this (I was there in 89)

John's info is pretty much spot on. The only coda that I would add to the Circle-K piece is that the corporation was also a bit upset at some of the spending decisions made by the current board and how quickly the corps went through money.

1989 was a very, VERY tough year. I had been with the corps from November to February, but I dropped due to school situations (it was my freshman year in college) and the persistant rumor that we were not going to make it to tour. I went to the preview show in June and saw the progress that had been made with the corps and decided to jump on board. Tour was ####. Period. It seemed that we could not go a night without a bus breaking down, our bus lacked A/C for days at a time, we had to cram 3 busloads of people onto 2 busses for a 10 hour drive, stuff like that.

About halfway through tour we had a corps meeting because the rumor that we were about to go home was going through the corps. The aforementioned (by John) director got us together and promised us that we would finish the tour, no matter what, and not to worry. That's when things started to turn for us. The food situation was VERY bad however, and it caused major morale problems (yeah, you are going to be on the bus for the next 12 hours, here's a cookie and some juice). I had heard that other corps were helping out with the food, but we never were officially told anything.

All in all, it was a satisfying summer (we had a nearly 40 point improvement from June to August) but the conditions were rough.

Here's a perspective from another corps.......I was a staff member of the Crossmen in 1988-1989.....the rumors were out there about Suncoast's struggles.  Also, correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that the corps came out late (ie around July 1, and had cancelled several June dates).  We heard that Pesceone was upset about that.  We were in the 7/1 show together.....we did not do well (60.6, and you had a 54.9)....we thought, wow that's low, but we did not see your performance.  The next day was in Franklin Field in Philly.  We were better....also, myself and another staffer got to see you on the sideline.

Just now, Bob984 said:

Here's a perspective from another corps.......I was a staff member of the Crossmen in 1988-1989.....the rumors were out there about Suncoast's struggles in 1989  Also, correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that the corps came out late (ie around July 1, and had cancelled several June dates).  We heard that Pesceone was upset about that.  We were in the 7/1 show together.....we did not do well (60.6, and you had a 54.9)....we thought, wow that's low, but we did not see your performance.  The next day was in Franklin Field in Philly.  We were better....also, myself and another staffer got to see you on the sideline.

(sorry...bumped the button)...at any rate, I said, "they are not that bad, and the hornline can play.....arrangements are good....percussion will be competent......they then announced the scores....we had a 63.7, and they gave you a 53.1...I said, "they are being punished", and the other staffer agreed.  I then said, "I wonder for how long"........"that's not a 53".....we knew that at the end, you were going to blow by us, and others.........it had to take much fortitude to "suck it up" and go out and bust tail everyday....but you did, and to start out that way and break 90 at the end was quite impressive.......I was just glad that we squeaked into finals.....

• 1 year later...