What did happen to Suncoast Sound?

The alumni corps thing was talked about when nats were in Orlando, but it never got off the ground. In '96 a bunch of alumni got together at finals, and that was way cool.

As for the uniforms, they were acquired from the USAF Academy, and they made holding the horns up sheer ####. Imagine the heaviest euph or contra and add about 20 pounds of front-weight.

John and Marwan explained everything right on the money. Like they said, we aren't airing dirty laundry...just telling the facts. The members who marched Suncoast know all of this anyway. Like John & Marwan, I'll refrain from using the Director's name that paid out of his own pocket. I'm sure everyone knows who he is anyway!! It's good to see that our old corps is still being talked about 15 years later.

As for the uniforms, they were acquired from the USAF Academy, and they made holding the horns up sheer ####. Imagine the heaviest euph or contra and add about 20 pounds of front-weight.

And, IMO. still one of the sharpest, cleanest and best looking uniform that's been put on the field. B)

Yes...What's up John? I see that you are in the Army band. I spent 4 years in the Marine Band and was stationed in California. I could probably still remember every Sousa march ever written!!

Maybe so, but not in an open forum like this, I guess I was taught not to "air dirty laundry", no matter how much I respect George B.(our corps director),  I would never discuss things he told me to any one concerning the folding of our corps. If they didn't know it already, they didn't need to know or ask the director themselves, that's the way I look at it.

a textbook case of Ostrich syndrome ...just stick your head in the sand and forget that it ever happened.

Drum Corps is like life it has ups and downs ,there are more stories like that out there than you could believe, Kingsmen being stranded in Miami? for instance .

If more people heard these horror stories than maybe there would not be so many of them. :ramd:

Edited by contrasteve2001

Thank you for sharing your experiences and the truth concerning Suncoast. They were one of my favorite corps. Your 1986 show was one of my favorites that year - it was amazing. I still miss Suncoast very much and after hearing years of conflicting stories it is nice to know the truth.

Lancerlady - I don't think they were airing dirty laundry or being disrespectful. It is a better service to tell the truth and to keep things hidden....especially concerning this subject. I've heard some crazy stories about the fold and now I know the truth.

First of all, no one needs to jump on LancerLady for her opinions. She was simply expressing her feelings on this subject, that's all. Some organizations just have different beliefs, that's all.

No one is disparaging the director in question, just the opposite. The story of the corps is an important tale, for the reasons that John mentioned. The sad thing is many corps have faced the same decline or demise, and more needs to be done to ensure that it does not happen.

As far as a reorganization of the corps, I for one think that it would be a tough task. Most of the folks involved that have stayed close to the activity have moved on to other corps and are quite successful there. The list of Suncoast alumni that are still active in the activity is quite impressive, really.

Boston Crusaders:

Howard Weinstein - Director (former Marching member and staff)

Dr. Mike Robinson - Brass Caption Head (former staff)

Jerry Kelsey - Brass Tech (former staff)

Rich Viano - Percussion Caption Head (former center snare)

Bob Barfield - Visual Caption Head (former MM and staff, bad-a@@ bari soloist in 84 and 85)

Jon Zollo - Visual Tech (former sop)

Glassmen have the dynamic duo of Robert Smith (former director/arranger and composer of the 85, 88, and 89 shows) and Frank T. Williams (former Brass Caption Head and all-around bada@@).

Former members and staff have also worked with Magic, Carolina Crown, Cavaliers, SCV, and others.

I think that, sadly, events in 87 and 89 really left a bad taste in the mouths of some really good people. Additionally, some former Suncoast members who marched with Magic in 1990 had a really tough time, and it would be quite tough to bring them back into the fold. Not to mention the inevitable issues with ego and power struggles.

While I would love to see it, I just don't know that it could be done.

I will concur that those unis looked great but were HEAVY! And BOY did they STANK!

Edited by OrlandoContraAlum

Actually I know an old Drum instructor from the Bluecoats who they basically had borrowed a number of drums from and when they declared bankruptcy he lost his equipment. Also when Magic first started out, same organization basically, they tried to purchase a marimba from this same guy and they asked if he would take Visa or Mastercard.

:spit:

First of all, no one needs to jump on LancerLady for her opinions. She was simply expressing her feelings on this subject, that's all. Some organizations just have different beliefs, that's all.

If it were just her opinions, I would agree Marwan.

But, she was essentially reprimanding alumni from a corps she did not march with, as to what they should or shouldn't be saying. As she threw herself into the fray, she deserves to hear dissenting views to her opinion and rebuttals to her reprimand.

• Like 1