What did happen to Suncoast Sound?

I don't know how you guys can air the dirty laundry like that. I would never do anything like that to someone I respected, like you claim you did with the director. Some stories aren't for us to know even if they are true. It doesn't do any good for the people that marched that year didn't know and this is just a wrong way to tell them. It's also disprespectful to the people who marched the year that you say they shouldn't have gone out on tour.

:beer::beer:

But, she was essentially reprimanding alumni from a corps she did not march with, as to what they should or shouldn't be saying. As she threw herself into the fray, she deserves to hear dissenting views to her opinion and rebuttals to her reprimand.

Fair enough strutta....

I don't know how you guys can air the dirty laundry like that. I would never do anything like that to someone I respected, like you claim you did with the director. Some stories aren't for us to know even if they are true. It doesn't do any good for the people that marched that year didn't know and this is just a wrong way to tell them. It's also disprespectful to the people who marched the year that you say they shouldn't have gone out on tour.

?? It's a good story, not gossip, or negative, or mud-slinging, but actual telling of events that show guts, determination, and a miracle season through adverse conditions....having been a huge fan of Suncoast (And still am) and absolutley adoring the 89 show and recalling with great happiness the 1989 show, its great to hear some behind the scenes info.....

Thanks for the story guys, thanks for such a great show, I'm glad you never gave up and had the strength to persevere, you gave a really great shoe and alot of memories......

~G~

Maybe so, but not in an open forum like this, I guess I was taught not to "air dirty laundry", no matter how much I respect George B.(our corps director), I would never discuss things he told me to any one concerning the folding of our corps. If they didn't know it already, they didn't need to know or ask the director themselves, that's the way I look at it.

Well, that's your opinion, so you can stand by it, suggesting to others they should love like you do is kinda crazy isn't it ??? Not everyone has the same views, what YOU consider dirty laundry, someone else might consider worthy content.......

And.......why not in an open forum like this ?? You set the rules and what should and shouldn't be discussed ?? .................didn't think so.

~G~

First off...to all alumni of Suncoast...Thank You!! 83,85,86, are still some of my "go to" performances for my cd player..

1987 Suncoast was the first corps I saw live ( Cary, NC ) and will always remember that.

However, I did have a couple questions about that specific year.

1) Was there a lot of turnover after 86 season member-wise ( ie. a lot of age outs )

2) After such a stellar programming year as 86 was..I guess I always wondered why the staff chose "My Fair Lady"? It just doesn't seem to have the follow up strength. I guess I would have loved to have heard some more exploration of Kenton's music..

either way..you guys are missed

CM

To answer your questions...

1) Yes. About half the corps was new in '87. We had our share of age-outs, but a lot of others decided not to march after the Circle K debacle became known. Which brings me to...

2) In my opinion, 1987 was a complete let-down after 86, in almost every way. I'm talking show design and tour plans (I had a blast in 87 on teh orad as crappy as we were), *not* the people. The *original* plan for '87 was to play more Kenton-esque jazz, and start the tour in England (at the Royal Festival, where Suncoast had its debut in 1979).

The idea was to take what we'd accomplished in '86 and make it epic. Unfortunatly, when Circle K dropped the corps (and they were right to do so), all that fell apart. The overseas tour was axed, and a lot of vets decided to take the year off (myself included). With that came a re-assesment of avaliable talent, and a complete change in show plans.

"My Fair Lady: Our Way" was originally based on Kenton's MFL, but it quickly became apparant that the corps wasn't going to be able to play it...so the arrangements got watered. However, in typical Suncoast fashion, the corps did master the arrangements that they did have...and the show became too easy (by mid-tour). Unfortunatly, it didn't connect with audiences as well as the previous four years, despite having 'familiar' music.

I joined in June to fill an open contra spot, and despite everything that happened, I'm glad I did. I made some great friends and had a ton of fun that year. There weren't too many multi-year vets left at that point.

As a fun DCP aside, Marwan and I marched next to each other for part of the show...

Now, if you want to talk about misery, we can talk about '88..... :beer:

John and Marwan explained everything right on the money. Like they said, we aren't airing dirty laundry...just telling the facts. The members who marched Suncoast know all of this anyway. Like John & Marwan, I'll refrain from using the Director's name that paid out of his own pocket. I'm sure everyone knows who he is anyway!! It's good to see that our old corps is still being talked about 15 years later.

Just a quick question. Is that director still alive and if so, have either of you (or any of you) ever thought to either send this gentleman a check for the food you ate, or maybe write a thank you note, so that he knows what he did was so appreciated?

He's an honorable man......doing it without wanting any one to know....a real class act!

A) I'm not sure, honestly...going to check on that.

B) Yes, many people did after they found out what happened

C) Trust me when I say he knew how appreciated he was, once the story got out

Frankly, we need more poeple like him, and less like a few other current and former corps directors.