Can I get a do over?

I was working in the yard the other day when I realized that I'm still upset with the placement that my corps (Suncoast ) received in 1982. It's like an unresolved issue with me. I need closure.

I was wondering, with all the technology available today, would it be possible to get a do over? I'm thinking of something like a people's choice set up where the corps in question could have their shows played (video if possible) and people could watch/listen on their computers and then vote. It could be as simple as who do you think beat who, or you could even break it down to caption scores if you wanted to. I, for one, would accept the opinion of many who post here, over what some of the judges have decided over the years.

Or, before someone else says it...Should I just get over it?

What do you guys think?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Russell,

Hope you're doing well (this troubling issue aside!).

This may be a simpler solution. Find someone you truly trust in the drum corps activity. Ask him or her to take the videos of the corps in question (I'm assuming you feel that Suncoast should have been ahead of one or two other corps that year), and have your trusted friend bring the videos to a couple of credible "judges" whom he or she feels would be able to give a solid review and make an honest appraisal after all these years.

It'll be anonymous enough that the "judges" can be objective. You can trust your friend to find quality folks with credible opinions, and then you can "live" with the outcome.

Either way, anyone who knows you well, knows that the score Suncoast achieved that year has very little to do with what you truly contributed to the corps that year. Your contribution to the kids FAR outweighed any competitive placement.

But, knowing your passion for your craft (drill writing, etc.), I understand your long-term "wondering" about it 20+ years later. I still get a bad feeling when I remember a few of the Cavaliers drum scores for some shows back when I marched. :(

Hang in there friend . . .

82 Suncoast....very good corps. I remember when they made finals in Whitewater, beating out Spirit...which was a deserved finals spot.

At DCI...not sure....sure Spirit had improved, but I think Suncoast was better..what surprised me was Spirit jumping over Cavies in prelims....not that the Cavies were that great that year, but I felt they were better than Spirit.

So, I tend to think that Suncoast should have been in finals that year..barely though....

#### of an idea!! Seriously. It would make a drum corps party that much better. Maybe this could help other people get past old issues too. I think Freelancers were robbed a number of years, as well as other corps who should have made finals and othe corps that should have won.

Hmm...

82 Suncoast....very good corps. I remember when they made finals in Whitewater, beating out Spirit...which was a deserved finals spot.

At DCI...not sure....sure Spirit had improved, but I think Suncoast was better..what surprised me was Spirit jumping over Cavies in prelims....not that the Cavies were that great that year, but I felt they were better than Spirit.

So, I tend to think that Suncoast should have been in finals that year..barely though....

What shocked me the most about '82 was the Geneseo Knights not making Finals.

Frank, that year was a intensely competitive year. There were so many good corps that did not make finals that year it wasn't funny. As for our prelims that year, we sucked basically :huh: It was not our best showing and Spirit deserve to beat us. Now in finals, we did much better and just slipped into 11th place. I personally think that we could have done much better that year though I must say the colorguard that year was excellent IMO.

I want 89 over again.  I'm sure alot of Regiment people would want 77,78,79. 89 still bothers me.

Yes, yes and yes to all of those years for PR.

1980 needs to be done over as well....oh and 1981....

And Russell, as much as I try to get over things that happened while competing, some of it can just never go away for me. And I've tried believe me!

Edited by LancerFi