1989 SCV "Disappearing Act"

Here's a link to a picture right before it happens. He doesn't look so comfortable in that chair!

Get outta here! You mean there was a guy sitting in the chair?!?!?

I didn't notice a guy in the chair...I'm still looking at "Christine"... the guard gal from 88 and 89!

There was a guy in that chair?!?!? unh-unh...!!! B)

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get outta here! You mean there was a guy sitting in the chair?!?!?

I didn't notice a guy in the chair...I'm still looking at "Christine"... the guard gal from 88 and 89!

There was a guy in that chair?!?!? unh-unh...!!! B)

LOL

I hear you - Juliette Tandoc is a true beauty. She used to practice in a blue bikini - I'm surprised we got anything done!!

The beauty of magic is that, even when you know how it works, you can still be amazed each time you see it.

For my money, the dissappering Phantom and dissappearing CORPS and RE-appearing Phantom on the back side of the field in '88 was much more effective. Especially since it was completely unexpected. By '89, everyone knew what was coming. The masks on the field just didn't have the same impact.

• 2 weeks later...

I still want to know how they "floated" the girl on the broomstick in 87!

Garry

Garry

she had a hinged board in he dress and when they set her on the stick by her arm you can see them lift her slightly to lock the hinge in place so when they pull the other stick out from under her legs she is supported by a board that she is lying on that is under her flowing dress and attached to the on stick by her arm.

also the two girls who appear in 1987 are hiding under the material at the bottom of the box thing the appear in. if you look at the bottom of the box it is angled down so the two girls can hide in there.

The one thing that sticks out for me was in '88. My Husband and I followed the Corps that Summer cross country and we saw many shows. We didn't watch the last rehearsals before finals for some reason or other. However, when we saw Semi-finals, they did the "disappearing act" for the first time.

My impression was this. When the "Phantom face" Curtain went over the majority of the horn line at the end of the show, for 1 split second my mind saw that horn line actually "melt" into the field. I thought that there must have been an elevator going "down" into the field like the trap door on a stage even though I knew that that couldn't be true.

It was truly a "magical" moment and it totally blew this "70s" girls mind...let me tell you...

Awesome...

Edited by MsBusDriver

Garry

she had a hinged board in he dress and when they set her on the stick by her arm you can see them lift her slightly to lock the hinge in place so when they pull the other stick out from under her legs she is supported by a board that she is lying on that is under her flowing dress and attached to the on stick by her arm.

also the two girls who appear in 1987 are hiding under the material at the bottom of the box thing the appear in. if you look at the bottom of the box it is angled down so the two girls can hide in there.

Boooo.

There is a special place in hades for people who tell the secrets of magic.

Well in that case Chris my place in that fire and brimstone netherword is assured,because in my rookie year with BD 1990 i had a baritone friend marching SCV,and he took us for a tour of Vanguard hall and in one of the back rooms was that chair for the phantom magic effect

Im sorry to confess that i broke it,an accident i assure you ^0^