1981 DCI Championships (VHS) Review

I would like to see a video of the 1981 DCI Finals in Montreal.  I feel all the corps members got the shaft for this year because our FINALS performance was never broadcast.

Is this the only DCI finals that was not broadcast on television?

Well, I was there so I don't know if it was on the tube or not (just like you Pooh)

Alls I know is I'm still picking the splinters out of my ### from those rickety bleachers at McGill Stadium.

-Terri

SCV sells a VHS tape called "Tradition"...

On this tape is the high angle of the

"Prelims" Day performance of 1981 SCV at Mc Gill.

:)

Tenor books were comparitively easy to today up until about 82-83. No doubt Float and BD had an influence, but so did Ralph Hardimon's books for Vanguard in 81/82/83. In both cases, the tenors were more technically exposed and more melodically integrated than in the years before. IMHO, the influence on current modes of writing for quads/quints has its base in those two arrangers' work as much as any.

That is not true. Fred Sanford changed the face of tenor drumming back in the early-mid 70s, culminating in '78-79 and 1980's "Stone Ground Seven." Late 70s/early 80s was the high point. Float and Hardimon took their respective cues from Sanford, especially Hardimon; Float was still pretty snare-centric and didn't write, IMO, the most techically demanding tenor parts. And, tenor books in the 70s were not "comparatively easy," but, in fact, more techincally difficult than much of what is going on today. Sanford wrote for us (Scouts) in '76 and even that tenor book was more technically demanding than most of the stuff I hear today. SCV's '99 tenor book, for instance, was the most diluted tenor book I had ever heard among an elite DCI corps--I don't recall hearing a single rudiment in that tenor book, nothing beyond 16th notes.

Dan Guernsey

Madison Scouts

DCI Multi-Tenor Individual Champion, 1976-77

First, it might be true that the Devils (and Float) were responsible for the first "snare book" parts for tenors, but SCV in 1980 paved the way for the "bongo tenor" sound so popular today when they fielded four sets of high quads and four low. . . . in "Stone Ground Seven" you'll hear all sorts of snare stuff being played on the quads.

Scott, you are dead right about SCV's "Stone Ground Seven," but wrong that BD (Float) was "responsible for the first "snare book" parts for tenors." Again, it all goes back to Sanford in the early-mid 70s. I played one of his tenor books with Scouts in '76 and "snare book parts for tenors" were indeed there. Sanford's tenor books from 1978-80 didn't grow out of a vacum, but grew logically out of what he was writing in the early-mid 70s.

Dan Guernsey

Madison Scouts, 1970-77

DCI Multi-Tenor Individual Champion, 1976-77

I would like to see a video of the 1981 DCI Finals in Montreal.  I feel all the corps members got the shaft for this year because our FINALS performance was never broadcast.

Well, I was there so I don't know if it was on the tube or not (just like you Pooh)

Alls I know is I'm still picking the splinters out of my ### from those rickety bleachers at McGill Stadium.

-Terri

Splinters from the seats in the Montreal Stadium?

I too have a prelim video and a finals video of our performance taken by our staff.

CNAL

• Like 1

That was the year Galye let Pete and Fred pick the music, and we got shafted by the judges and Gayle let Pete take the blame.

Shafted? You won didnt ya?Maybe you didnt win every show,but you won the one that counted the most.

That was the year Galye let Pete and Fred pick the music, and we got shafted by the judges and Gayle let Pete take the blame.

Shafted? You won didnt ya?Maybe you didnt win every show,but you won the one that counted the most.

He is referring to 1980...Gail had told the Staff he would put the 1980 season into their hands....

CNAL,

Did you forget?.....

Prelims were held at McGill U. Stadium....(Outside) for 1981 and 1982.

He is referring to 1980...Gail had told the Staff he would put the 1980 season into their hands....

CNAL,

Did you forget?.....

Prelims were held at McGill U. Stadium....(Outside) for 1981 and 1982.

Yep...I did forget....it must be the "old age!"

Thanks for reminding me!  :p

CNAL

He is referring to 1980...Gail had told the Staff he would put the 1980 season into their hands

Soorey,my bad. :D

I was there...wayyyyyy down in front! (had to get the loud from Madison and BD!)   I have the video too.

Since DCI's been on TV, 81 was the only year finals wasn't shown, live or delayed.

It was a fun show--the entire top 25 from 1980 together.  And the birthday cake that Madison won...looked yummy!!

• Like 1