1981 DCI Championships (VHS) Review

I would like to see a video of the 1981 DCI Finals in Montreal.  I feel all the corps members got the shaft for this year because our FINALS performance was never broadcast.

Is this the only DCI finals that was not broadcast on television?

Well, I was there so I don't know if it was on the tube or not (just like you Pooh)

Alls I know is I'm still picking the splinters out of my ### from those rickety bleachers at McGill Stadium.

-Terri

When I was in Montreal in 82 at McGill during prelims, some guy sitting next to me broke through the rotten wood he was sitting on!!!

Was so weird...such a great field to perform on in such a sucky stadium!!!

I would like to see a video of the 1981 DCI Finals in Montreal.  I feel all the corps members got the shaft for this year because our FINALS performance was never broadcast.

Hey Doug,

I couldn't agree more. We'll never see ourselves at DCI finals in Montreal. <sigh>

My pet peeve about the midwest show in distribution is the fact that Dave Carrico (my field opposite) was at least 4 strides off of his set during the opening Baritone feature of Johnny One Note (with the double-G). We're right on the 50 so it makes us both look bad. Dave was a great player (and a real nice guy) but not that great of a marcher.

See you on the 50.

- Greg

Greg,

Hope to catch The Renegades Show tomorrow night, I'll come by and say hello.

2 of my 3 sons march Blue Devil 'C' corps....... they want to hear the Big Boys Play....

Trish

Dave was a great player (and a real nice guy) but not that great of a marcher.

Did not realize that set was that far off...  We must have drill downed that manuver 1,000 times that summer - i am sure you remember - I posted that double G lick as one of my all time favorites - the drill and the chart were way exposed.  I thought we performed pretty good - good enough to win high horns.

Did not realize that set was that far off...  We must have drill downed that manuver 1,000 times that summer - i am sure you remember

Well...maybe he wasn't 4 strides off.  More like 2... but we were SO CLEAN back then it really shows.  :D

See you on the 50.

- Greg

Greg,

Hope to catch The Renegades Show tomorrow night, I'll come by and say hello.

2 of my 3 sons march Blue Devil 'C' corps....... they want to hear the Big Boys Play....

Trish

Hi Trish,

It should be a good show. Thursday's brass sectional was really great. The corps is going to put on a fantastic performance.

Looking forward to meeting you and your sons. I'm the Baritone player with the beer belly. Hmmm... that describes almost all of us. <grin> We'll find each other.

See you on the 50.

- Greg

• 1 month later...

Great thread....neat stuff...

also, good to see another brother on the board Dan G.!!

Got a question for you or anyone else who may know. During the 1970's and 1980's who was the percussion caption head at Madison and who were some of the staff. Was Chris Thompson there that whole time?

just wondering ..

Clay M.

The man in charge of Madison's Percussion in the late 70's early 80's was Chris Theo (aka Christos). He also designed the 1979 DCI Logo which was pretty cool.

As far as I know, he was the Madison Percussion guy until '83 when Chris Thompson took over, although he still did some consulting from time to time, from what he told me when I spoke to him in the mid 80's.

As for the rest of the staff, can't tell ya that, but Dan G. is on here and he can probably clear that up for you.

Rene' Conway

Director - Marching Band Bontang Pupuk Kaltim

Bontang, East Kalimantan, Indonesia

Dynasty USA Percussion Clinician for Indonesia

Phantom Regiment Percussion Staff 1984

Great thread....neat stuff...

also, good to see another brother on the board Dan G.!!

Got a question for you or anyone else who may know.  During the 1970's and 1980's who was the percussion caption head at Madison and who were some of the staff.  Was Chris Thompson there that whole time?

just wondering ..

Clay M.

Hello Clay,

During the 1970s and 1980s, the drum caption heads were:

1) 1970-71. Larry McCormick (writer); Dennis Dowd (execution); Lyle Sigelkow (execution). Dowd was an ex-Cavalier from the 1960s and Lyle was an ex-Scout rudimental bass drummer from the mid 1960s.

2) 1972. Lyle Sigelkow and Mike Madigan did the bulk of the writing; some of the '72 show retained some of McCormick's charts from the '71 season. Madigan was an ex-Scout snare drummer from the mid 1960s to 1970.

3) 1973-77. Bruce Lages was caption head and writer. Mike Madigan continued doing execution from 1972-76. Chris Theo (Scout snare from 1969-75) did execution in 1976 and 1977 (he also did some writing--the opener-- in 1977). We also had Fred Sanford as caption head in 1976 for the disasterous Shaft show in the first part of the '76 season.

4) 1978-83. Chris Theo was caption head (writer). Joe Murray (Scout cymbal in 1972 and snare 1973-76) and Laki Theo (Scout tenor in 1971 and snare 1972-78) did execution during the late 70s and early 80s.

After 1983, Chris Thompson took over as caption head, but Chris Theo continued to work with the line as a consultant. I hope that helps.

all the best,

Dan Guernsey

Madison Jr. Scouts, 1970

Madison Explorer Scouts, 1971-77