1981 DCI Championships (VHS) Review

Was 1 of my favorites as well. Too bad I didn’t win. But we did get high horns. 
Wow that was 41 years ago!

Miss ya Pooh Bear. 
2007 was fun.

Damon

Edited by BlueDevilsBari
I’m old!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2022 at 5:36 PM, jash67 said:

How can one obtain a copy of this broadcast. 81 was one of my favorite years.

Thanks

John

If memory serves, there was no video from Montreal. However, DCI Midwest (Whitewater) was captured and released on VHS tape. Locating one of those would be a real find.

Here's a taste:

• 1 month later...

FYI I remember hearing that the reason finals were not recorded or broadcast in '81 is that PBS could not get their equipment across the border into Canada. I'm not 100% sure that is true, though.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/19/2022 at 2:31 PM, flugelswerebugels said:

FYI I remember hearing that the reason finals were not recorded or broadcast in '81 is that PBS could not get their equipment across the border into Canada. I'm not 100% sure that is true, though.

This would be a good question to ask Messrs. DeLucia and Rondinaro. If I am not mistaken, Canada has some very strict labor ordinances requiring the hiring of local production people. This may have proven too costly.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/19/2022 at 5:31 PM, flugelswerebugels said:

i have heard this too. i think prelims were recorded though

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/23/2022 at 11:26 PM, Jeff Ream said:

i have heard this too. i think prelims were recorded though

They would not allow DCI to broadcast finals...for what reason, I don't know.  The audio recording was allowed, though.   Some amateur video of prelims (not done by DCI) is out there......

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I know there were recordings of Crossmen, SCV, 27th and I think either Garfield or Blue Devils.  Yes,  the were of prelims and of finals ( McGill and the Olympic Stadium) They floated around for awhile, some placed in defunct archives.  You might want to ask on Facebook group 80's drumcorps. 

Edited by bldbrkr

I've seen some from 1981.....they were all prelims......same vantage point, so I believe someone got a camera in.......same corps as you listed....but I haven't seen any from finals........some are here....https://www.facebook.com/groups/2433228313665981/media/videos

It was cool to see these earlier this year.....I was on staff with one of the corps........but the only video that I had was from DCI Midwest....I wish I had one from finals, as we were much better in finals than prelims.....