Star 1986....musical question

Specifically this if for any board members (or early season watchers) from the 86 corps.

I've been crankin' the 1986 bottom six in the car recently (Sky Ryders..."Over the Rainbow"....yummy!!), and it seems that the push in Star's show (the throne room scene from the end of Star Wars) is cut off musically. The ending is friggin' brilliant musically, IMHO, but I was wondering what changes were made to the push, and if it was purely for time considerations.

oh...and BTW....18 contras....YEAH, BABY!!!!

Edited by 84BDsop

Sam,

This was posted on the Star Alumni boards this morning from your post on the BD forum. I'd imagine that you'll be getting some responses soon.

I'll have to go back and watch the DVD. I don't remember it being abrupt at the time, but that was years ago. I used to have that show committed to memory, from seeing it so many times, but it's getting fuzzy.

d@m#, getting old sucks!! :P

Edited by StarContra4-85

I will take a stab at this one for I survived that season. Though in all honesty my memories are a little fuzzy on the details of when and how. Trauma has been know to repress the things that hurt you!

As best I can remember the push in Star Wars was relatively the same throughout the year. It is actually just the final few bars of the Throne Room scene. The original version of Star Wars was more or less a straight version of the Throne Room scene complete with the beginning fanfare part. Somewhere around mid-tour it was changed to the more 'closer-like' version with the backfield melodic parts pieced together with the center of the Throne Room. The build into the push was put in at that time as well. I do not think time was the driving factor, but more likely show 'flow'.

Close Encounters originally had a the fading 'contra-beat' ending that proceeded the mother ship opening up in the movie. It was a happy day when Jim 'Jimmer' Prime created the big cords on the end! :)

Adventures on Earth was changed extensively mid-tour. The entire ET theme push near the end was exorcised! The rest was diced and sliced like beef at Japanese steak house. If you listen closely in the center you can hear a bit of the Ewok theme and the Battle of Endor from Return of the Jedi! We changed over 30 seconds of drill the week of finals in the opener alone.

All and all I wish I had a video tape of that show from early that year. It would be cool to see all of the changes, especially 'Gerbil Wheels'! We actually had another tractor-trailer to haul those crazy things. The second year of Star was like a toddler learning to walk, every part was growing rapidly and getting strong, though not always working well together. Best of times, worst of times.

Edited by mchromik

BTW, if 18 Contras was cool, what will the possibly 40 or so (Tubas) sound like at our reunion in May? b**bs

Anyone in the vicinity of the Indy 500 Festival Parade on Memorial Day weekend should stop by and check it out.

• 2 weeks later...
All and all I wish I had a video tape of that show from early that year. It would be cool to see all of the changes, especially 'Gerbil Wheels'! We actually had another tractor-trailer to haul those crazy things.

Did you know the wheels are buried in a hole behind Star Hall?

Mike

I'd read that in Bill Cook's memoirs on the old Star of Indiana webpage. Maybe we'll dig a few of them up during the April camp and bring them out for the parade in May!

I would be afraid of what ghosts could be released if the gerbil wheels ever left the security of the Indiana topsoil. :blink:

Would we suddenly and unexplicately begin stepping off on the right foot? Would we suddenly decide to change the parade formation at the last minute before stepoff? What repressed traumatic memories would be unleashed apon those who survived that season? Maybe it is best to let sleeping wheels lie.

I would bet even Zingali would be looking down and saying; "Are you cupcakes s@#ting me!!! :angel:

I would bet even Zingali would be looking down and saying; "Are you cupcakes s@#ting me!!! :angel:

I bet he is already doing that now! :blink: