2003 DCI DVD's???????????

I thought the DVD's were pretty good, sure the multi camera misses some good hits, or important parts (eg. Spirit, when they show the only the "Seems" flag, and they also do not show the 27th Lancers flag). But then again, the Multi camera is really good sometimes, like the end of SCV, when they flash to different parts, making sure to get the Cymbals in there!

My DVD also got softer during the loud parts, but that was because I had it on the night time setting, which turns down the really loud parts. I turned that off and it is much better.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:feednotroll:

As far as marching arts videos go, these are top notch. I have continually appreciated the fact that Tom and his crew know enough about what we do to have cameras in the right place at the right time.

I've asked BVP (who does DCA) to look at Tom's work. There's no reason they couldn't make a similar product for our championships.

Tom is the standard against which everyone else judges themselves. The experience with our activity is the difference. It's obvious he knows what he's doing when it comes to drum corps. I'm not so sure about the "other" people though.

Keep up the great work, Tom.

Phantom isn't the only visual show that was poorly shot. BUT!!! The real negative is the horrible audio! Compare the CD recording of any corps you want with the DVD. Every time a corps get loud the DVD audio gets less. Very poor quality. If T. Blair were to even acknowledge the problem he would cry there just is only so much info thay can squeeze onto a disc. I say there is no excuse for putting out a DVD product that is barely better than the Video Cassettes. DCI should get a complaint from everyone on this; especially from the performers and staffs of every corps. <**>

There must be something with either your ears or your system, or maybe you have "smart sound" and you don't know it.

My DVDs sound great on my 5.1 system. The softs are soft and the louds are louds. The DVD audio has never been better.

PHREAK

Well, being an "alum", I though it only appropriate to watch the Regiment first. I hate to knock the product but, whomever was in charge of camera shots scored got a big fat F

I would agree with you here. They missed the wedge starting to go through the hornline which totaly looses the dramatic effect it had. They missed lots of great moments on the few corps I have gotten to see. Thank goodness I have the DVD and can watch the high cam. It would stink to have the videos and not get to see the high cam.

I'm with DCIPhreak on the audio - my 5.1 system playing the DVDs is abso-tively awesome. . . ^OO^

I was a little disappointed that the multi-camera shot missed the beginning of the wedge cutting into the hornline, but when I went to the high-camera angle, I got to see it in all its glory, albeit not as up close as I would have preferred. . .

All in all, I'm much more than happy with the set - I was quaking in my boots to see and hear the finally-resolved BIG SOUND chord with the kick-out at the end of Phantom's show - it was another of those "tears of joy" moments for me, and what I'd been waiting since August to experience. . .

i've been happy. then again i am still watching SCV on drum cam w/drum judge :P

I love the 2003 Div I DVDs. With the exception of a few things, the quality is excellent. Here are few of my thoughts.

[1] I agree with some posts that the synchronization of the sound and video for Phantom Regiment's show is off, but you would have to be a drum corps fan to notice. My family watched it, and they thought it was great. Ignorance is bliss. However, the phasing problem is slight.

[2] I had the house to myself today, and decided to crank up the volume on the Blue Devils' show. I have not been able to enjoy their show and thought that maybel the volume level at which I have been viewing their show had something to do with it. You know what? That was it! Boy, by playing them louder, I got a really good feel of the emotion and intensity of the music. That is just some fine playing. Hands down.

[3] The Boston Crusaders impressed the heck out of me. Wow! They are not top five material yet, but they are nibbling at the top five's heels. Very dynamic show. I go the feeling that there show had a very traditional drum corps flavor--something one would expect, say, from the eighties?

[4] Surprisingly, the Madison Scouts did not entertain me as much as I wanted and expected it to. I want to the feeling I get from Scouts '95. Now there was a show that really connected, flowed, had energy, and drew the crowd in. Jutra's style is hard for me to understand. Maybe I need to watch it a few more times. Any tips on how to I can connect to the 2003 show? Thanks!

[4] Surprisingly, the Madison Scouts did not entertain me as much as I wanted and expected it to. I want to the feeling I get from Scouts '95. Now there was a show that really connected, flowed, had energy, and drew the crowd in. Jutra's style is hard for me to understand. Maybe I need to watch it a few more times. Any tips on how to I can connect to the 2003 show? Thanks!

That's probably not a reasonable expectation to have for a really young corps just coming off a year out of finals. Heck, there are very few corps, regardless of experience or history, that can compare favorably with the Scouts' 1995 show. From my perspective, this was a good rebound year for the corps, the drill and guard were improved, and I thought the closer was really cool.

If you look at it within context of the last three years, then you might get a better appreciation of the show. Just my opinion.

Michael Oldemeyer