Star of Indiana Hornlines

Guest GeorgeD

235 members have voted

1. 1. Star of Indiana Hornlines

• The Brass Theater Years
    • The Blast! Years
    • Star never really had a great horn line
    • The best is yet to come!

Personally I think 1992 was there best hornline top to bottom.  91 had a great alto line, but i thought the sops weren't as strong that year.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'91 had their best horn score ever!!  I do agree that '92 was a more mature sound, but how can you beat a score of-100?

oh wait..that was '92 wasn't it...my bad! but still!!!

Well, Star's 90 hornline was so sweet when they just opened up on that first color chord in 'Belshazzar'. It was so lush, and full. Lot's of great hornline moments.

1992 Star is one of my favorite drum corps shows ever, and 93 was surely an awesome show ahead of its time, but 1991 I believe was the most impressive. I believe that effect came from a design standpoint rather than just having an incredible hornline, (even though they had that too). Those mellophone background runs with the ratchet in the front ensemble were so clean. Many impressive hornline moments, and without a doubt, easily one of the best hornlines ever to hit the DCI field of compeitition.

91 was amazing. Their mellophones were so in tune, and so clear. So many notes, so clean. Simply amazing. They DID set a standard that has yet to be met. Then again, in 93, they set the standards, (both musically, and visually), that still nearly 10 years later, have not been met.

Each of these years has something special

1990 Was an awesome show and LOUD

1991 Had the techinical prowess that is difficult to ever match

1993 Was the most intense, tension and release-based show. Dark ominous sound, and wonderful tone quality

1992 Season (not finals night when it got so cold) was a display of my IDEAL hornline. They were dark, in-tune, but still had the brilliance of sound when it was needed. They still had all the runs and such in the ensemble.

Each of these years has something special

1990 Was an awesome show and LOUD

1991 Had the techinical prowess that is difficult to ever match

1993 Was the most intense, tension and release-based show. Dark ominous sound, and wonderful tone quality

1992 Season (not finals night when it got so cold) was a display of my IDEAL hornline. They were dark, in-tune, but still had the brilliance of sound when it was needed. They still had all the runs and such in the ensemble.

Very true!!!  '92 is when they received their perfect hornline score of 100.  I think it was Friday nights performance that this happened.  This was also a better performance for the Cavies too.

Although '91 was one of Stars best hornlines (during their years on the field) they didn't win high brass that year... it went to Blue Devils (I think).   Listen carefully to the first entrance by the sopranos for an example.  The '90 line was much better i.m.o.

I think it's unfair to compare the marching years with the stage years because the instrumentation is so different and the members are older and more experienced i.e. more talented.  The Blast!  CD just blows me away and that has to be by far the organizations most talented performers ever.

When Brass Theatre was performing in Branson, Missouri on a permanent basis I think that was kind of a low point.  I'd get tired of playing every night for an audience full of blue hair!

Guest GeorgeD

Um...actually Star & BD were co-Champions of the Brass Caption.  Much to the surprise of many in the crowd, btw.

In '91, Star's line was in a league of their own (imo), but the corps peaked about a week or more prior to finals.  (this isn't just my opinion, Bill Cook says the same thing)  I think that BD's line, who still had more room to grow, benefited from this and got some credit for the improvement they showed finals week.  Whether they ended up Star's real "equal" is anyone's opinion at this point, but listening to the recordings raises some doubt in my mind.

The big diff between '90 and '91 was '91 was cleaner and more mature.  '90 was a great book though, and one of my favorites also.

Um...actually Star & BD were co-Champions of the Brass Caption.  Much to the surprise of many in the crowd, btw.

In '91, Star's line was in a league of their own (imo), but the corps peaked about a week or more prior to finals.  (this isn't just my opinion, Bill Cook says the same thing)  I think that BD's line, who still had more room to grow, benefited from this and got some credit for the improvement they showed finals week.  Whether they ended up Star's real "equal" is anyone's opinion at this point, but listening to the recordings raises some doubt in my mind.

The big diff between '90 and '91 was '91 was cleaner and more mature.  '90 was a great book though, and one of my favorites also.

Yep, I remember Bill saying someting like that.  Thanks for the clarification about the co-brass champion in '91.  I thought BD should have won it for themselves.  

In this poll I actually voted for '93.