Freelancers

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me tell you all a little something...

This kid had more hype in him than any other drum corps member in the world. We used to tease Scott becuase he was a tiny guy, over hyped, and talked about nothing but the Freelancers. I remember him being the first person up at camp one morning in 1989, sop in hand, ready to go before any of us were even out of bed.

"Dude, you need to take a pill".

Scott was all drum corps, all the time!

Now in my old age, I look back now and know that Scott Stewart was a model Freelancer, and a model drum corps member at that.

Miss ya Scott, it was a pleasure marching with you.

You will know who I am in a minute- first let me share some of my memories.

1985 at La Sierra Community Center in Carmichael Ca. right behind my house. I was 11 years old and heard a bunch of drumming coming from what I almost thought was my back yard. Went around the corner and there was this "band" as I called it (bad bad bad slaps wrist now). I played in a Community youth band at the time and was first chair trumpet in my elementary school district honor band and had both trumpet and percussin chops (there is your first clue who I am). I watched 3 snaredrummers do about 7 laps around the track playing rolls (OMG). When they took a break I intruduced myself. Told them I played trumpet and percussion and Tom Slabaugh (can't remember the spelling) handed me his sticks. "He holds traditional?" he said to one of the other drummers under his breath (I had learned that in youth band because we had a director that swore that everyone should learn that grip). They seemed pretty impressed and said something along the lines of "dude, get him on the bus" (11 years old and I'm thinking great these guys want to kidnap me now and give me Koolaid, THAT'S why I'm not supposed to talk to strangers. Really I think I DID get a little nervous cause I didn't know WHAT they were talking about. All I heard was the word "BUS"). Then, being up to more no good, I found the hornline and played the same game with the sops. I met Mike Geech for the first time and he gave me his horn and when I played above a high C and he said "YO NOT SO MUCH PRESSURE!" but he was impressed anyway. I was such a little snot!

So that's memory number 1- Any guesses yet?

So I started investigating this "drum corps thing". Got a hold of a bunch of videos and records (for those of you youngins, that's like a big black CD). Set my sights on wanting to do it. In 1987 I talked my mom into taking me to a rehearsal to join (at age 13). Mike Geech remembered me, handed me a horn and I'll tell ya what, they were ready to go with me and so was I. Then, John Zimney and my mom talked, decision- let's wait and do 88. Season is starting in two weeks and it will be to much for him to handle so soon and so young.

And the rest is known history.

1988- Soprano (split between 2nd and 3rd part)

1989- upper lead

1990- lead soloist

1991- lead soloist

1992- lead soloist

1993- TOTALLY HATED BY THE ENTIRE CORPS FOR GOING TO BLUE DEVILS (except for Augie, Clint and Carl Sarf who were usually the more forgiving ones) ;)

Scott Steward

Wow....thank you. Those are some very kind words. Only one question...WHO ARE YOU? :worthy: No name. Send me a PM and let me know. :)

Living in TN now, working as a professional trumpet player and on staff for a local BOA high school band program.

Edited by torn8o

Yea. Brian Graber is a court reporter in Stockton. I see him couple times a year. I marched in Freelancers in 77 snareline.Currently doing Renegades snare. I'll post my favorite memory shortly. Peace...............Earl Brown

Earl,

Great to see you marching with Renegades at the PP show. You don't know me but I marched with a few of your fellow snares from '77 in 1978 - Johnny Flores, Kelly Mahoney & Steve Thinglum. Always love listening to Graber's parts in '76 and heard about his blowing everyone's doors off in the drum-off with Devs in '77 (from Allen Christensen[sacto Allen] and Larry Schiavone).

I also marched with Dennis Mancini in SCV's '02 Alumni Corps and '04 TOR. He's a great guy and looking real good in Renegades too!

Glenn Wong

'73-'77 Mandarins

'78-'79 Freelancers

'80-'81 SCV

I have read this entire thread, and have not seen anyone mention this, so I will:

Bellavia

Am I the only one who misses this?

:worthy: One of the best exits ever. The slower it's played, the better it sounds. We played it a little too fast in prelims '78 - might have cost us making finals, but we'll never know... Great drum parts by Don Silva, very tasty.

THIS!!!

Wow....thank you. Those are some very kind words. Only one question...WHO ARE YOU?  :worthy:  No name. Send me a PM and let me know.  :)

Living in TN now, working as a professional trumpet player and on staff for a local BOA high school band program.

Hey Scott! Good to see you here on DCP. It's been a while.

I'm on the east side!

Sorry, had been away from DCP for a while myself.

And you, Jason, need to get out of LA every-now-and-then yourself and join a senior corps.