Freelancers

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to throw out some love to the 1987 freelancers! I didn't march that year and I really wish I had. I had gone to a few camps in '86 but really knew nothing about what was going on. I don't remember being told or asked to come march in '87 but WOW I wish I had. I have such respect and admiration for that particular corps!!! What those kids (I'm assuming the average age was MUCH younger than most years) did was simply magical.

I got to know the show via video very well when Lance Delgado came to live with me following the '88 season and we watched the video over and over and over and over and over. Yes, Lance I think I can STILL match just about all of your beats from that year (Lance was in the pit and was on the chimes at the end of Bells--GREAT shot of him hammering away at the end of the show).

I guess it seems to me like it was a whole bunch of rookies who (no offense intended) really didn't know what was going on but listened and learned and watched the few vets and staff that were there. And then! What they ended up with was MAGIC. I still get misty when I think about that year, how they played Born Again. I've heard several tell the story of the corps playing that song one night after rehearsal. I'll ask someone who was there to elaborate on that experience. I guess the whole "rising from the ashes" thing is what makes that year so special in my mind.

I wonder if anyone knows how Roger Deloza came to the corps? Was it just a stroke of luck? Did John Zimney charm him? How would the show have been without him? I don't believe he's been mentioned in the this thread yet, but I get kind of sad when I think about how young he was when he passed.

OK, '87 vets...I've given you your lead. Let's hear from you! :worthy:

87 was a magic year for the corps....I remember that after the 86 fallout, a bunch of people went to other corps and then came back in 87. I stayed home and practiced all summer long with 5 other snares. Don, Norman, Roger, Bob, and Carol kept us all going.....

We had some issues in the beginning of 1st tour, but the show was a good show for the corps and we worked dudes.......I mean, I could see some of the best Freelancers corps doing this show. We bonded because we were all trying to make a statement. We wanted the Red, Black, and Chrome to mean something.....We placed 19th after a year off, and think a lot of people in DCI were surprised.

Then in 88, you have the top 11-15 placed corps battling it out all year long. We lost out at 15th, but we peaked too early. It was tough that year because of the show we had. We also had a very good 11 man snare line. Don wrote us all a note before tour telling us how special we were and the chance to be in our situation after taking a year off in 86, busting ### in 87, and finally executing a challenging show in 88 was something that I'll never forget.

Roger and I were close friends in 87 and 88. That dude could have gone to BD, but he bled Red, Black, and Chrome. I miss him, and I often think about how good he was. He was a rock for us in 87, man.

I remember seeing the Freelancers in 89, as I was in Spirit, for the 1st time in Canada. I couldn't go back West because I had no money and was in college at the time. I cried so badly because I saw those uni's, friends, and staff that taught me....I had a moment with John Zimny.

I also remember the snare line in 87 all went out and bought those teal colored Converse high-tops. Chuck and I dyed our hair blonde....get that. A red-neck and a mexican with blonde dyed hair in the snareline. Jason Macenroth, snareline, has been playing drums for Rollins Band and now has his own band called Mack. I saw him in Atlanta a couple years ago on tour....

I will always believe the corps will come back. I am very glad the drumline is still working and will do whatever I'm asked to get the corps back going again....

Patrick

Edited by jsualumnus

I marched in '83 and '84. Two very good years for the corps. Wished I had also marched '82, as that was probably the most solid show the corps had in the early '80's. The Red Freelancer Cadet with the Black pants and shoes (no spats) was the most bad### uniform out there.

What a cool thread! Thanks to Lance for turning me on to it! It really brings back memories to hear and relive those great times and to hear about the corps before my time! SHOUT OUT to everyone who ever had fun at our pad, the K.G.B. Any of you who want to drop me a line can at visdog@aol.com!

Michael P. Grogan

FREELANCER 1982-1993 :)

UGH, it's been so long, I may have replied already, but............

• '76 -Commencement (Best I've heard)
  • '76-'77 - Bellavia (Backfield section used to give me chills)
  • '77 Drum Line - (One I would of really enjoyed playing with)

What a cool thread! Thanks to Lance for turning me on to it! It really brings back memories to hear and relive those great times and to hear about the corps before my time! SHOUT OUT to everyone who ever had fun at our pad, the K.G.B. Any of you who want to drop me a line can at visdog@aol.com!

Michael P. Grogan

FREELANCER 1982-1993 :)

GROGAN!!!!!!!! :worthy::wall::wall: