Freelancers

The Freelancers, one of my top ten all time favorite corps.

I'll never forget how sad I was in 86 when I heard they were going inactive for a year, then remeber ing the joy when I saw them in 87, tltally cancels that out.

That 1987 show is one of my favorites, completely overlooked and underated.

1983 Freelancers colorguard was extremely proficient in all disciplines. Loved the circle things in the opener.

1984 and 1982 Guard was awesome too, especially the curved poles usedn in 82's "Even now"

Am I the onyl one that like 85's uniforms ?? Not better than the classic SAC uni's but I still liked them. Loved the music of Colombier that year too !

The drill in 1984 was so perfect, such great patterns and great transitions. 1984 is one of my favorite years. TOP suite, Genji, Born again, what a pretty closer. SO glad they brought it back in 87

1982: (As I mentioned in another thread) "We got something youre really gonna love"..."and here it is" ..goosebump moment.

1988 was a better opener than 89 in my opinion, the 88 Guard thingie on their heads looked like a giant white crab. LOL

1990 Batman opener, one of the best musical/visual openers ever, should have been in finals. The guard as bats was stunning.

1992 ?? awesome show full of GE and totally deserved a finalist position. The colors the guard used, the drill, the silks the guard used, The Walton music. A great show,

1994 was also an awesome, underrated year. Especially the guard.

I miss SAC !!!!!!!

~G~

To all the Freelancers reading this ?? Thank you !

Edited by GMichael1230

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1992 ?? awesome show full of GE and totally deserved a finalist position.

Well, then you'll be happy to know it got one.

I personally kinda thought that show was a mess, but y'know... glad you liked it!

I would like to say that it is most awesome for all of us Alums to come together and join in on this thread. I know that getting the Corps back would be easier said than done, but I am one for letting this thing go where it may. Just think what it could be like if we did form an Alumni Association and raised money for a comeback? It is possible, and for as long as I live, I can always sit back and do nothing...Or, we could all be a part of what 87' felt like and bring the field corps back overtime....

Seriously....join the freelancer alumni site on Yahoo to start the process.

Does anyone know what Tom Hope, Parker, or Don would say about this?...just asking.

Pat

Edited by jsualumnus

Does anyone know what Tom Hope, Parker, or Don would say about this?...just asking.

Pat

The question would be 'are they interested in fielding a corps again'?

If they are interested, then I'm sure they wouldn't have a problem with us getting involved.

I want to be able to give the Freelancers experience to others. I can't wait to start throwing money at the corps or an alumni group.

Edited by ravedodger

1994 was also an awesome, underrated year. Especially the guard.

I miss SAC !!!!!!!

~G~

To all the Freelancers reading this ?? Thank you !

Great to see a little love for my age-out year :)

OK, I have jotted down some notes as I read through this entire thread tonight.

Bill Garcia - Bill! And "green", sorry....

Todd - The first two words that came to mind were the dreaded "crotch rot". Sorry.... I do remember you were the most hyped person on the long LA to Sac camp rides. (Man, when was the last time I used hyped?)

Mike Grogan - The man who taught all the rookies in 87 what meant to be a Freelancer.

Pat - The dude who taught me that the f word can be used not only as a verb, but a noun, adjective, adverb, even a conjunction. The poster child for "tour mouth". Luv ya man even though you used to smack the crap out of my knuckles holding ride cymbals in 87. How's Mike?

Lance - Well, at lease we got to see finals in 2001 :drool:

Kelli - Now everyone else is jealous and depressed because our corps jackets don't fit anymore... :P Isn't the pit much more fun than being in the guard? Although I see they still have you wear spandex... boy is everyone happy that wasn't a requirement for our pit.

Some of my favorite moments:

1987 My shako falling off at Semis, and I never wore one again for the next four years.

1988 Being cut from the pit at one of the camps, but not realizing that's what the staff was doing. I managed to negotiate my way back into my spot. I only realized that what they were doing weeks later. Duh! Oh well too late, and it worked out for the best

1989 Another One Bites the Dust

1990 The live bat in the hallway in Centerville, OH to hype before the Batman show. And I seem to recall a dream.....

* CSUN 1990, Lance and Roger Johnson on tenors and the snare line was me, Steve Moder (who's on Lance's immediate right in that snare picture earlier in the forum) Louie Calavaro and Kurt Stirling - All Freelancers

1991 Lynn and I spent a whole Sunday in a practice room at PCC and augmented the whole mallet book. We had such a blast adding mallet runs into the opener. Then we had to convince Tad to let us put them in.

One Charlie-ism I always remembered is "You create what is said about you." It actually has real world meaning too, go figure....

Edited by ogre

* CSUN 1990, Lance and Roger Johnson on tenors and the snare line was me, Steve Moder (who's on Lance's immediate right in that snare picture earlier in the forum) Louie Calavaro and Kurt Stirling - All Freelancers

That Freelancer/CSUN connection goes at least all the way back to 1980/81, with Grant Nissen, Gary Gardner, Tad Carpenter, and Dane Nelsen in the line. CSUN 1982 had Gary, Dane, Jay Jost (Freelancer Tymp '80), and myself in the line. By 1984 I was the lone Freelancer in the line (although we had a sweet tenor line with myslef and Kevin Murray (VK '84-'85 and BD '85 - '88) in the line. You guys picked up the torch in the late '80's and did us older guys proud. The CSUN Carmina Burana show was awesome.

Now, the Freelancers are gone and so is the CSUN "Mighty Matador Marching Machine", as G. Pratt used to say. No More Red and Black in NorCal or SoCal. Makes me sad...

Edited by Scotty

Kelli - Now everyone else is jealous and depressed because our corps jackets don't fit anymore... :P Isn't the pit much more fun than being in the guard? Although I see they still have you wear spandex... boy is everyone happy that wasn't a requirement for our pit.

Hi Ogre!!! Great to see you hanging around! I'm still not sure the Pit is more fun than the guard but I do enjoy that it's a smaller close-knit group. :) What's really weird is being in the Pit and having Dan Bryan be the drum judge. :rock: Isn't there a conflict of interest rule for ex-boyfriends being judges? :P I wear spandex by choice, luckily the only requirement is that we wear black. ^0^

One Charlie-ism I always remembered is "You create what is said about you." It actually has real world meaning too, go figure....

This quote was used at a Renegades camp last year... it's still so true. B)

Todd - The first two words that came to mind were the dreaded "crotch rot". Sorry.... I do remember you were the most hyped person on the long LA to Sac camp rides. (Man, when was the last time I used hyped?

Ogre - Appreciate you bringing back a common tour malady I hadn't actually thought of in years!! <**>

And, yes, now that you mention it, I hadn't used the word "hype" in several years until a couple weeks ago!

I'm hyped(!) that you signed on to this thing...You've brought back a great Charliesm that I hadn't thought of.