Freelancers

This was one of my favorite shows because we always got treated to strawberry shortcake from the locals. :)

As was still the case, I might add, when Alliance did that show in 2001. What I learned about Woodburn as an instructor that I didn't know as a marching member is that there's a Pizza Hut just a couple blocks up the road.

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I learned about Woodburn as an instructor that I didn't know as a marching member is that there's a Pizza Hut just a couple blocks up the road.

Yeah, all you had to do was ask... The pitlings always knew where the nearest store, fast food or drink machine was at a site.

As was still the case, I might add, when Alliance did that show in 2001. What I learned about Woodburn as an instructor that I didn't know as a marching member is that there's a Pizza Hut just a couple blocks up the road.

Something I actually remember?

Yes, I remember that Pizza Hut. A few of us (probably "Little" Joe, Auggie, and Jackie--not sure)went there for lunch in '91. They had promo junk from "The Rocketeer" movie everywhere.

I can tell you about #1, but someone else will have to update you on #2 (I, too, have only heard the story).

I think I'm the only person on DCP that probably marched with him. I was a 14-year old rookie in 1976. Overall, Danny was a nice guy. He was at least a couple of years older than me, and quite a bit older maturity wise. We both played 2nd sop. He was a solid horn player; knew his part and knew enough to tell me what to do, too. When I found out about his accident (someone pulled out in front of his motorcycle), it hit me quite hard (Part of the reason I didn't march for a couple of years). I'm not sure I remember much else (It's been a couple of years...). Hope this helps a little.

I was a lead sop in 75 until my family moved unexpectedly just before the season started. The names are vague, but I do remember Billy Collins, Dave Trujillo, the Silvas, having my first joint at Norbel's house, Donny Supat and Vaugn Katchadorian(sp). Based on the above, I think I might remember Danny. The person I remember was relatively short, super cool, and very involved in karate, maybe a black belt. I hope I have the wrong guy, but whoever he was, I must have known him, so I would like to hear more about him in any case.

Ok, can someone refresh my memory of what happened at Allentown on retreat? I remember seeing you guys and thinking "someone's going to get in trouble for that". But the rest is gone from my memory.

Oh and the buckle smash made me wince every time! Still does just thinking about it!

I was a lead sop in 75 until my family moved unexpectedly just before the season started. The names are vague, but I do remember Billy Collins, Dave Trujillo, the Silvas, having my first joint at Norbel's house, Donny Supat and Vaugn Katchadorian(sp). Based on the above, I think I might remember Danny. The person I remember was relatively short, super cool, and very involved in karate, maybe a black belt. I hope I have the wrong guy, but whoever he was, I must have known him, so I would like to hear more about him in any case.

I had forgotten about the karate, but I think you have the correct person.

I had forgotten about the karate, but I think you have the correct person.

####. I've been thinking about this non-stop since last nite. The description the other poster gave is sort of what triggered my memory, because he was sort of a big brother type to me too (i was 14 at the time). I remember the karate because he had just finished the nuchaku (nunchucks) portion of his training, didn't want the nunchaku any more, and gave them to me (my brother and I were just talking about that the other day, they are still at our parent's house). I feel bad about needing this forum to remember his name because he was probably the person I hung out with the most while I was there. But hey, that's what these forums are for, right? I'll search for the ghost story, but if it hasn't been posted, please do.

Thanks for the response Big Mac.

Ok, can someone refresh my memory of what happened at Allentown on retreat? I remember seeing you guys and thinking "someone's going to get in trouble for that". But the rest is gone from my memory.

Oh and the buckle smash made me wince every time! Still does just thinking about it!

I wasn't in Allentown in 90 but have heard the story numerous times. Somehow Grogan's battle axe got stuck in the track and we played the show to the stands while coming off the field for retreat (which is a big no-no). Flaps were definitely closed that night.

If someone has a better description of this event, please correct me. B)

Let's see If I can remember. We had been beating another Corps by almost 15 points when all of a sudden we dropped 7.5 and they jumped up 7.5 to beat us.John Rochon and I,along with Chad, decided we needed to do something about it. It was one of those new kind of retreats were you just troop the stands and play a little tune. When we got in front of the crowd, we stopped, closed our flaps and turned to the crowd and just did a very nice park and blow. When the show sponser handed Chad the plaque, he threw it on the ground where a horn player chopped it in half with the battle axe and gave it back to them. The crowd went wild and DCI had a fit. We ended up getting fined a couple of grand for that.Some people think that's why we didn't make finals that year but DCI had already sent a clear message with the scores.F em if they can't take a joke. ^0^

Wow. These stories seem to get more and more fantastic every time they are told. Chad threw down the plaque at retreat and a horn player chopped it in half with the battle axe?! Let's get this story straight. I was there too. At retreat the battery was up in front of the horn line in the block, just behind the color guard, so we had a clear view of exactly what happened.

Here is what happened. At retreat, when they announced our score, Chad ran over to the Troopers block, grabbed the gun out of the Trooper DM's holster, ran up to the judges and shot them all in the head.

That is why we didn't make finals.

Peace