Freelancers

I also really miss that intense sound of metal on metal whenever you guys went to parade rest.

We used to get in trouble for that when we got our new horns in 91 but we did it anyway!!

God, how I hated that.

I was...lucky enough...to teach TWO horn lines that thought is was a hype to damage their horns when going to parade rest! At least SCV stars are plastic.

Hated those buckles.

They sure looked nice, though.

Edited by randomnoise

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Freelancer Memories...

1975. Contra soloist in Squib Cakes - man that cat could blow.

1976. Commencement - the definitive version.

1977. What a drumline. WOW.

1979. The coke can guard uniforms. Sue and Cecile - yummy.

1984. Greatest Freelancer corps ever (along with 82, 83 and 91).

1990. Batman and Scherzo. I loved Scherzo - one of my all time favorites. The other corps must have been extremely good to keep Freelancers out of Finals.

1991. Great hornline. Beating Garfield Cadets in Brass was great.

1992. That rendering truck that kept driving by us at Nationals rehearsal - the most horrific smell you could imagine. It was so bad that we had to stop every time it drove by. We would see the trucks coming and cut the rehearsal so everyone could cover their noses.

1993. Writing a Chase show around a soloist that quit on the last possible day to join Blue Devils. Brian Hodgkins stepping up to take over solo duties.

Buckles for Renegades, Chris?

hehhehheh... B)

I only marched one year cause I did the whole family thing afterwards but I do have some unforgettable memories and met some wonderful people. I will never forget the day Chad Humpel was directing and jumped up so high for a cue that he almost fell off the podium. We all were laughing so hard that we had some serious ensemble tears.

Buckles for Renegades, Chris?

hehhehheh... B)

Ha!~

I finally found my buckle, after thinking it was lost for the last two years. What a relief!!! b**bs

I also really miss that intense sound of metal on metal whenever you guys went to parade rest.

We used to get in trouble for that when we got our new horns in 91 but we did it anyway!!

God, how I hated that.

I was...lucky enough...to teach TWO horn lines that thought is was a hype to damage their horns when going to parade rest! At least SCV stars are plastic.

Hated those buckles.

HAHA!!

At retreat on finals night I smashed the #### out of my brand new Kanstul sop's bell. I always wanted to do the "buckle smash"!

They gave me a chrome King flugle my first camp with the Freelancers. You want to talk about the buckle smash? The bell was egg-shaped and had hundreds of tiny dimples all over the buckle side! I wish I still had that horn--what a piece of..err...history!

Edited by ravedodger

I have many memories of the Freelancers. I'll recount my first memory as a competitor further down.

One thing I remember is the comradery their drum line had with the Blue Devils drum line....particularly the quads. It seemed after every California show the quad lines of boths corps were circled up just jamming away with a huge crowd surrounding them.

Being in a corps that treated their horns like fragile objects that could break if squeezed too hard.....we would just cringe at retreat when Freelancers went to "parade rest".

It wasn't just a "clank" of metal on metal. It was "CRUNCH, DENT, WHACK, SCRATCH" on that buckle. It gave us the heebie jeebies.

I had seen the Capitol Freelancers as well as the Sacramento Freelancers since like 74. The first time I saw them as a competitor was in 1981 from behind the stadium at San Jose City College.

We're behind the stands, we can see through the slats the Freelancers standing on the field in their red uniforms, us in jeans in white t-shirts for the "eval show".

Freelancers belted out their opener and we were talkin...."who wrote that"..."that sounds like us....did Wayne write that"....."#### their loud!'......They came out ready for the season that year.....big time!

Freelancers in 81 were good. Better than they had been, and had a great start to a season that would see them make it into finals after a few years.

I always enjoyed their openers, and Malaga. Their drum major in the early 80's always had the crowd into their show. Fun to watch and he always seemed to be in to the corps performance.

I was there during their battles with Troopes, and Sky Ryders.

Freelancers were a great California drum corps and I miss not being able to see them......Northern California was the hot spot of Div I drum corps from 81-85 with 3 of the top twelve within 1-2 hours of each other.

Edited by bd5times

I remember those velcro uniforms in 1985. I had a girlfriend who was in the guard and when we would make out after shows our uniforms would stick together.

I loved watching you guys early in the season because there were always some members who didn't make the uni change in time so you'd see scattered red or yellow all over the field. B)