Freelancers

Was the Woodburn stadium the one with the ghetto apartments behind the stadium with the artificial turf? I seem to rememer that one had the cover over the stands.

What happened in 93? Did Chad fall down? :P

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was the Woodburn stadium the one with the ghetto apartments behind the stadium with the artificial turf? I seem to rememer that one had the cover over the stands.

What happened in 93? Did Chad fall down? :P

As far as 93, this is the info I have. It may need some clarification from someone who knows the "facts" or has a better memory than me. Basically the show that year was a minimum 2 ovation show with the crowd, sometimes 3. Lots of very nice, very loud in your face moments. You add the power of the horn line with the percussion into that little stadium with that aluminum cover and we were LOUD! Apparently sometime during our 2nd or 3rd ovation we were playing so loud we caused an elderly person to have a heart attack. They were treated on site and then taken to the hospital and we were later told they would be fine. In an odd sort-of-way, that's quite the compliment. The staff actually ran with it. Our goal wasn't just getting the crowd to "throw babies" anymore we now had to "give 'em a heart attack."

I don't remember what was behind the stadium and I honestly don't remember if it was turf. I don't think so. But it was a little tiny stadium with a chain link fence around it and the buses parked in a nice wooded area just outside the stadium. Like MikeBob mentioned, we did have a victory concert there in 1992. Sadly, that is the only patch ("Drums of Fire!") I never got for my jacket and it was our only victory concert. They didn't have the patches there that night so they brought them to the corps housing the next morning and it so happens I was helping one of the colorguard staff (Marcus, I think) do something before rehearsal to fix our headpieces and wasn't around when they were handing them out. Can't quite remember now. I even tried to get a patch from the show coordinators when we were there in 93 and 94. They always said they'd get one and mail it to me. No love. Oh well.

Now that I mentioned the headpieces from 92, I have another funny memory. Those guard headpieces in 92 were fine when we were performing, but when we were in retreat it was another story. They had strings of beads hanging all around the sides and back so if you moved in retreat, the strings of plastic beads would clang together so loud you could actually hear it all the way up in the stands. PLUS, 1992 was DCI's 20th anniversary AND Gail Royer's announced retirement year so retreats were especially long for tributes to both of these events, especially the stuff for Gail Royer. We were in retreat in a REALLY large stadium one night and as always there's the pressure not to move because the entire stadium will look directly at you if you do. It's not even like you can pretend it wasn't you, because your stupid beads would still be swinging. Anyway, we're in this huge stadium and Sheryl S or Lisa M (can't remember which) had a fly that wouldn't leave her alone. So she'd shake a little bit again and again and finally she just lost it or something because she took her hand up and swiped the side of her headpiece and was shaking her head and it was SO loud. Those of us that were taller were in the back could see what was going on and it was hard enough to keep our military bearing to begin with, but to see her do that and not be able to laugh. Yeah, we weren't very successful in the back. Not much military bearing that night.

Edited by Cathie Wiener

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the story Cathie. Too good--and bad at the same time.

How did this tread get bumped to the six page anyway?

Because a lot of the posters on the historic forum are a lot... more historic.

Page 6!?!?! Let me get my abacas.

• 1 month later...
Because a lot of the posters on the historic forum are a lot... more historic.

Hey Bob, something tells me that I'm bumping this thread for a reason. :P

Edited by ravedodger

Yes it is. Is that 89? Nice pic of the 'tug', as well (our pit cart). The corps still has it in the back of the hall.

Sac is back!

See topic of same name in the DCA/Alumni Discussions.

Looks like time to make some new memories!! b**bs b**bs b**bs