Looks like time to make some new memories!! b**bs b**bs b**bs

Now's the time! :wub:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just thinking:

Wouldn't it be nice to see the Freelancers talked about in the "General DCI Discussions" rather than the "Historical" forum?

Well, this little wish won't happen in the DCI forum, but it has come true in another respect--only a year-and-a-half later. Not bad. :thumbup:

Well, this little wish won't happen in the DCI forum, but it has come true in another respect--only a year-and-a-half later. Not bad. :ph34r:

Good news and all the best. I'm trying to plant a few seeds in Alberta. Let us know, how to get this done, please.

Thank you and good luck with your project!

I can't speak as a representative of the Freelancers, but I think the best model out there would be what the Kingsmen Alumni did over the past 2+ years. They were extremely methodical in their approach using the 27th Lancers Alumni Corps as their model. I'm sure they would be more than willing to share information.

We have only recently organized the alumni. It has taken a number of small attempts to finally get to where we are today.

I believe others in the various alumni groups out there, whether they are a full corps or a social organization, would agree with me in saying that the key is getting in contact with the alumni. They will talk and remember. It will snowball from there--into what, only your corps will decide. We don't even know where we're going--yet. As John Zimny (our brass caption head) said last night, we're taking baby steps. We'll see where we are and what we end-up doing.

Whatever we become will be a good thing. We will be not only who we were, but who we are.

• 8 months later...

A couple of photos I just located. I apologize in advance for these low-quality scans. They're actually scans of photocopies; sadly, I didn't keep the original publications, only these copies. Mea culpa!

I'm pretty sure the guard wore this uniform in 1991, and it's one of my all-time favorites:

freelancers4.jpg

freelancers5.jpg

This whole subject makes me miss retreats again. These kids don't realize how much they are being cheated with the DM only retreats. And the shows have lost a little of the luster for me.

I agree, I wish full corps retreats would make a comeback. Not to mention victory concerts, the new predetermined encore things are just a let down at the end of the show.

And back to full corps retreats, in our day that was when the pit would go "exploring" around whatever town we were in and find the local fastfood place or convenient store......the extra perks of being in the pit :smile:

Boston was known for standing at High Parade Rest for the entire full retreat. What a pain in the neck - and back, arms, shoulders, knees ...

I also wish full retreats would come back. In recent years, Boston put their instruments down.

Anybody remember Serena in the pit, 84-86? She aged out with SCV and a Northridge alum. I can't wait till next month as we'll meet up in Las Vegas. Yup and she's still a babe!

What about my VK boys that marched Freelancers? What are they up to? Folks like Al Nelsen(Big Al) and Gary (can't remember his last name) who marched snare in 81?

The 82 and 83 shows get played every month at my place at least a couple of times. I miss their style, uniforms, buckles and sweet tunes!

Anybody remember Serena in the pit, 84-86? She aged out with SCV and a Northridge alum. I can't wait till next month as we'll meet up in Las Vegas. Yup and she's still a babe!

Haven't seen Serena in a long time. She was one of my high school drumline instructors, and one of the main people to convince me to get involved with Freelancers.

• 2 months later...

I also posted these in the "old corps photos" thread, but they belong here, too:

Freelancers, 1991 DCI finals, Dallas, TX:

1991freelancers1.jpg

1991freelancers2.jpg

1991freelancers3.jpg

1991freelancers4.jpg

1991freelancers5.jpg

(photos by Bonnie Harmon)