Freelancers

You mean this '77 drumline?

121972556.jpg

Just in case you didn't catch it in the "Old corps photos" thread. B)

or this snareline, an 11 cell organism, old-school snareline dressed in SAC's best looking uniform. This was taken in Michigan City in 77. Notice the future candidate for back surgery carrying the tymp on the left.

SacramentoFreelancersMich.CityInd1977.jpg

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You mean this '77 drumline?

121972556.jpg

Just in case you didn't catch it in the "Old corps photos" thread. B)

or this snareline, an 11 cell organism, old-school snareline dressed in SAC's best looking uniform. This was taken in Michigan City in 77. Notice the future candidate for back surgery carrying the tymp on the left.

SacramentoFreelancersMich.CityInd1977.jpg

I played around with some enhancement features on both photos:

121972556.jpg

SacramentoFreelancersMichCityInd197.jpg

Here is another picture from that 77 parade

77FreelancersParade.jpg

I had the privilege of marching with Earl "Sticks" Brown (5th from the right) in the KAC. Yeah Baby!

Two more from the Old Corps Photo thread taken by my dad at the 1980 Cerritos College show in Southern California.

Freelancers802.jpg

Freelancers80.jpg

Edited by SoundmanG

Here is another picture from that 77 parade

77FreelancersParade.jpg

I had the privilege of marching with Earl "Sticks" Brown (5th from the right) in the KAC. Yeah Baby!

Wow, that's an impressive photo! :laughing:

I loved the 83-85 offerings from SAC. We played Breakin' Up/Lover Come Back in my HS band, it was much fun. The next year we tackled Born Again, which also did not suck.

I REALLY liked the 85 show. The music was quite cool, and I really liked the uni's. (That _was_ the year of the funky unis that seemed to change when you turned around and such...no?)

A good corps that is missed. :(

"We got something you're really gonna like!"

"Here it is!"

"Live! From Sacramento... the Freelancers!"

Good stuff!

:tongue::music::doh: B)

AGREED - 85 was the best - but visually dirty I guess - The Unis were easily 10 years ahead of there time. Remember the pants early tour? - They were too much for DCI to handle. I love that uni and music.

• 6 months later...

I remember in 79 they had the jump suits and play the Wiz! Ease on down the road.

I remember in 79 they had the jump suits and play the Wiz! Ease on down the road.

I loved that drum solo!

I'll never forget when the Freelancers toured the Midwest/East for the first time in '75. When they came into the stadium for DCI Midwest nearly everybody thought they were the Anaheim Kingsmen (who had gone inactive for the season), only wearing red and grey instead of the Kingsmen blue. The uniform style was similar.

Edited by Northern Thunder

Seeing these snare pics reminds me of one of my favorite SAC trademarks, what I call the "what-the-hell move:" filling a rest with some wierd in&out drill move or stick flash. Always made me giggle. Don't see that AT ALL anymore.