LOUDEST DCI Hornline EVER?

Guest GeorgeD

Guest GeorgeD

1996 Phantom Regiment.  OH MY GOD! for a recent hornline...

:)

1987 SCV --- GREAT GATES = great new part in my hair

:D

THE OLD SPIRIT LINE --- Jim Ott era, boy big sound, and deep well-supported sound...probably the LOUDEST high end sound that I've ever heard  

:0

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd give BD's 99 line my vote for loudest hornline, based on my (very) limited exposure, followed closely by Madison's 95 line and BD's 96 line.

But speaking of loud hornlines, I heard a good story from a guy named Barry Tagg, formerly of BD, now a brass instructor with Capital Regiment. He said, "There used to be a corps called the Sky Ryders, that played LOUD all the time. They don't exist any more." I was tempted to contradict him and say, "Yeah, but then there's a corps called the Blue Devils that plays loud all the time. They've won DCI 10 times," But I didn't because I didn't want to look like a smart-aleck at my first camp. Maybe the question should be (and I posed this to the same question when it came up on BD's board), "Which DCI hornline can play loudest, the BEST?"

I second the Madison nomination! They defined impact in the mid 70's.

Geoff  :o)

I believe that someone actually did whatever measuring was necessary to find that Star 93 was, in fact, the loudest hornline ever.  Anyone else out there ever hear about that?

Purely subjective but my first thought was the Madison lines from around 74-76. I think Argonne in 72 blew pretty hot too but it's tough to say for sure. A bunch of corps in those days could blow but I think a lot has to do with the arrangements. Sometimes the shear volume may not hit the same db's but the way the piece is structured can give the perception of more sound. Does that make sense?

I fyou want to hear a loud brass line, be sure to check out Syracuse Brigadiers this year.  So far we are even suprising ourselves.  Having played in the BD line of 99, and yes we were pretty loud, this one I think will blow it away.  The talent is there, the work is there, it looks like it is going to be a great year.  OK, so it's DCA, but whos counting anyhow

Shawn C.