LOUDEST DCI Hornline EVER?

Guest GeorgeD

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its kinda too bad that the switch to Bb isn't as loud as the old G bugles. My vote though would have to be BD 86'.

I disagree.  It's not the key; rather, the design of the horn has more impact.  (I know, here we go again.  Hey, if we're going to have a more civil environment in which to have these discussions, then let's take advantage of it, dang it).  Yamahas aren't designed for outdoor use like the DEGs and Kanstuls are.  However, as I understand it, Yamaha is working on a new design for a marching euphonium which Cavaliers will be using at some point, and this will hopefully lead into them producing horns more accomodating to outdoor use, both in projection and durability.  

IMO, it's not "volume," but "projection" that's an issue.  I know of huge college marching bands that are loud as all heck, but don't project nearly as well as a smaller corps hornline and therefore don't sound as loud.  The design of the bell and throat has an impact here.  Compare a soprano and a trumpet side by side; aside from the extra seven inches of (cylindrical) tubing, the main difference lies in the larger throat size on the soprano and the lesser flare of the bell.  Both these features are found on both the Bb and G sops put out by DEG and Kanstul.  They aid projection by focusing the sound a little more than a normal trumpet does.

• 3 weeks later...

Loudest hornlines? Hmmm....

99 BD was unbelievable. Ears were probably bleeding by mid-season

2000 SCV   I was near the 50 down in front on semis night for Adagio for Strings. That was probably the best live musical moment I've ever seen in DCI.

2000 Bluecoats   At the end of the intro there was a really hip drum lick that connected it with the first tune. Well... there WAS a really hip drum lick, but thanks to the hornline, it's almost inaudible. :)

2001 Madison Scouts    Ok, ok, this wasn't the loudest. However, that opening impact scared the @#$^&* out of me the first time I saw their show. Oh heck yeah....

1.  Madison 75

2.  Spirit 80

3.  Madison 95

4.  Madison 78

Unfortunately, hornlines have gotten less loud since someone thought the pit had to be heard.

Will a Bb corps ever be called the loudest ever?  No, not even close, and that's a shame.  Good thing they'll have shows in domes so they'll sound artificially loud.

Santa Clara 1998 opener and closer

Star 1993 Medea

Santa Clara 2000 Adagio/ opening impact in String Quartet

:0  <~~ what i looked like when i saw SCV live in 2000 "whoa"

Cavies 1995 Mars/ Jupiter

Madison 1995 el toro caliente/ malaga

Santa Clara 2001 also had "rip your face off" capabilities with all those euphs

Cadets 2000 opening statement/ end of opener/ ending

Sure is nice to see 1980 Spirit of Atlanta remembered here by so many. Being a drummer, the highlight of practice all year was standing in the drumline facing that arc of horns during ensemble rehearsal. Ott knew how to make them sound good while playing at a very, very high volume.

The old Ott lines were some of the best, loudest hornlines ever in DCI. If I had to pick just one hornline, my vote goes to Spirit 1980 without a doubt. I have never heard a baritone section louder than that of Spirit 1980 in the beginning when they play 'Georgia'. As a hornline, they were just great. 'Let It Be Me' was pretty amazing.

I think I might give 1989 Phantom Regiment my 2nd runner-up vote.

spirit, early 80s