Sop Mouthpiece: Legit or Lead?

CozyChopsCom

For soprano or trumpet, which mpc do you use? I'll start: Callet DT-10, also GR e62MS. I like these for lead. For legit, I often use a Callet Opera2. Flugel: Warburton 4 fl.

Cozy

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used a Schilke 14B5E for the five years I marched.  Most brass staff cringed when I mentioned Schilke but I showed them the bore was wide enough to get the sound they needed.

try a schilke 14a4a, ,its like a lead mp

try a schilke 14a4a, ,its like a lead mp

Regiment at that time didn't want the leads to use Schilkes at all so we could have a darker sound.  The mouthpiece I used, 14B5E, has a deeper cup and the widest bore they could put on it so I was able to get by with it.  I've still got my 14A4A and it helps me out quite a bit  ;)  but I like the broader sound I get with my other mouthpiece. Really I guess it comes down to the music style and the line someone marches with.

I wish I could remember one mouthpiece that a guy I marched with in Sky Ryders used.  We called it the "Nickel with a hole in it" and he could hit notes that caused mosquitos to leave.  :p

I use a Bach 3C for regular playing. I was a split sop (2nd part) and it seemed to work fine. I also used a Marian S Jet tone which was a wide bore mouthpiece and that also worked well.

For regular lead playing I use a Marcinkewicz Bobby Shew model. Its great. I love it

There were alot of Schilkes in our 80 line.  Jim used to do a mouthpiece inspection.  He had a box of mouthpieces he carried down the line and if he didn't like yours in it went, never more to be seen.  He put alot of folks, especially the altos on big Schilkes and didn't like shallow cups.  He let the upper lead sopranos go shallow if they sounded ok.  I played a 15a4a that summer.

Currently I play a good old Bach 1.5C on my C and Bb.  For lead and Bb/A Piccolo I play a Bob Reeves 43WS692.  For G pic I play either a very old Purviance 9 or a Bach 3C.  And on my flugel I use a Bach 1.5FL.

I just got me a Kanstul CG3 and that piece rocks, very nice gigantic sound and pretty easy to get up into the upper register. Rim is something to get used to but its way beter than the shilke 13a4a I used to use for marching band........talk about thin. BD also(or did) use them for upper lead sops and lower lead(I believe) 3c's on the rest

I used a Schilke 13A4A playing lead my last year in corps. After years of Bach 7C, the Schilke was quite a relief...the upper register was like a flame thrower! I found the rim to be much more comfortable than a Bach, but the drawback was the precision of my attacks would suffer when I got fatigued and started using more pressure. I think for anyone with thick lips that the A cup may be a little too shallow.

I have also played on a Schilke 15B which I find gives a fuller sound and a Vacchiano 3E which is a good lead piece with a less extreme rim and cup than the 13A4A.

Now I have come full circle back to the 7C which I find helps me to blend in better with the concert band, that I now play with, since the sound is less piercing. The old rim comfort issue no longer seems to be a problem, but that may have something to do with changing my embouchre and is another story... (8-]

in jr corps (BD-early 80's), the whole sop line used CG's of some type. i used a CG3s, with a two valve King.

in renegades, in 2000, i played the Yamaha 14A4a-gp, with a 2-valve King sop. in 2001, i switched over to the Maynard Ferguson model Monette, the MF-II, and also switched horns to the Kanstul Classic. in 2002, it's the MF-II, and a new Kanstul Powerbore. there's about 4-5 of this same combination in our soprano line this year, and most of the rest of the leads are playing on a Monette of some type. works well outdoors. i only play in drum corps. ]:-)