Sop Mouthpiece: Legit or Lead?

CozyChopsCom

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I play on my Bach 1X in everything. Awesome tone, and I'm getting up to about a double A on my Bb horn with it. I've played on it for about a year now... the first couple of months were madness... my face was just terribly sore like all the time, lol... but it went out when I started doing 12 hour a day practices for corps. Doesn't really hurt all that much anymore, or maybe I'm just used to pain now.

in 2001, i switched over to the Maynard Ferguson model Monette, the MF-II, and also switched horns to the Kanstul Classic. in 2002, it's the MF-II, and a new Kanstul Powerbore. there's about 4-5 of this same combination in our soprano line this year, and most of the rest of the leads are playing on a Monette of some type. works well outdoors. ]:-)

The Monette MF-II! That is a comfy mpc. 'Twould be interesting to hear a horn line playing the MF-II with its wide open 23 throat. Hard to believe Maynard has his MF-II custom widened to 19! Considering that the avg. mpc is 27, 28, 26, 23 would have a big full sound. Thanks for the insight to the Renegades!

Cozy

www.cozychops.com

When I was younger I played on a Bach 7CW which I used on both my trupmet and bugle.  After high school, I didn't play too much on the trumpet anymore and I lost my mouthpeice so I picked up a Bach 5C which worked really well for me.  After I aged out of DC, I went back to the trupmet and my teacher suggested a Bach 5B.  Since I didn't do a lot of outside playing and my tone was improving I stuck with it.  Now I'm back playing soprano again using my Bach 5B but I was fooling around with a Yamaha 14a4a, which was too shallow.  I did a little research and bought a Schilke 12B4.  My endurance and range is a bit better but my attacks and precision suffer a bit.

• 3 weeks later...

as much as I hate to have to say this, when I marched lead in the Colts, we were FORCED to play a Bach 3C.  I hated that mouthpiece with a passion...the rim was too sharp and my lips would be so easily fatigued.  Fortunately, marching Scouts they let us have some liberties as long as it didn't affect the ensemble tone.  I marched a Warburton 4S with a 9* backbore....I liked the Warburton a lot...it had a rim like a Schilke 14a4a but the backbore of a Bach 3C.  Kind of the best of both worlds.  I hate the Schilke 14a4a...just because I force SO MUCH air through a horn, that I overblow the mouthpiece...the backpressure keeps most upper register notes from sounding....I need something much more open that that.  That's what I loved about Warburton...you could mix and match until you created YOUR perfect mouthpiece.

Justin

I play on my Bach 1X in everything. Awesome tone, and I'm getting up to about a double A on my Bb horn with it.

Wow, lead on a 1x...I bet you buy Big Daddy prophylactics too, huh?  ;)^

LOL. Hmm. ;)

Anyways, I figured I'd mention, do you remember a lead baritone from Spirit 80 named Mark Armstrong? He's one of our visual guys at my corps (this is our first season.) He showed us a 1980 tape on break at the last camp, I was quite impressed with everything going on there... lead sops were crazy, and the alto line, that was really nice also. Awesome show.

do you remember a lead baritone from Spirit 80 named Mark Armstrong?

Yes, I remember Mark.  I haven't seen him since finals night in B'ham.  I heard he was at Marshall now.  I am actually at the north end of the state in Morgantown @ WVU.  I've been teaching here since 98.  I may have to try and get down there and see you guys either at a camp or maybe the Huntington show.  How is the show going?  How many are y'all marching? Horns? Drums? Guard? Tunes...or Program as they say these days?

If you want to see Mark 22 years ago, check out this picture.

I played and still do at times on Schilke 14A4A for lead stuff (trumpet/sop). Big Bad Man is right though. Schilke can get thin on top unless your really pushing it out. Warburton is fine product and allows alot of flexibility with interchangeable cups & bores.

Flugelist