Sop Mouthpiece: Legit or Lead?

CozyChopsCom

as much as I hate to have to say this, when I marched lead in the Colts, we were FORCED to play a Bach 3C.  I hated that mouthpiece with a passion...the rim was too sharp and my lips would be so easily fatigued.  Fortunately, marching Scouts they let us have some liberties as long as it didn't affect the ensemble tone.  I marched a Warburton 4S with a 9* backbore....I liked the Warburton a lot...it had a rim like a Schilke 14a4a but the backbore of a Bach 3C.  Kind of the best of both worlds.  I hate the Schilke 14a4a...just because I force SO MUCH air through a horn, that I overblow the mouthpiece...the backpressure keeps most upper register notes from sounding....I need something much more open that that.  That's what I loved about Warburton...you could mix and match until you created YOUR perfect mouthpiece.

Justin

Hey Justin,

Actually, there was no ultimatum issued on what type of mouthpiece to use in the Colts when I was there.  We did highly suggest using a Bach 3C because so many younger kids in the line hadn't ever gotten off the Bach 7C that came with their first cornet or trumpet.  

Remember how young that line in '94 was?  Especially the sops?

Indeed, the Bach 3C did have a sharper rim -- but only for those who used too much pressure and not enough air on a consistent basis.  Sound familiar from your younger days?  

]:-)

Anyhow. . .

I played on a Schilke 13a4a for all 5 years that I marched Lead Sop in the Colts (1980 - 1984), and keep it to this day for lead trumpet work.  I was one of those weird guys that could make it dark or make it cut, depending on the intent of the music.  Don't know why. . . I just could.

I can't say I'm a fan of matching mouthpieces in any line.  I used to be. . . but now I am more concerned with matching tone, and highlighting individual strengths of players rather than pretending that I have a cookie-cutter and the students are the dough. . .

:o)

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have also heard god things about Bob Reeves mpcs as well for being good outdoor pieces.

::nodnod::

We (Cadets) use Bach 3Cs for the 2nds and 3rds, and the upper leads use Bob Reeves 42Cs. The lower leads have a choice between the two, but last year all but one opted for the Reeves, and this year all the leads are on the Reeves. The only two exceptions to this are our two screamers. One uses a Monette (don't know the numbers), and the other one used a Bach 7E for a couple of weeks, but has since switched to the Reeves.

I still remember the day we got the Reeves mpcs in... we were in Cali, and it was like Christmas. :) We played some tuning chords, and holy crap we were in tune and loud.

They have nice, wide, comfortable, replaceable rims (they screw on), and are slightly shallower than a Bach 3C.

Alan likie.

Hey Justin,

Actually, there was no ultimatum issued on what type of mouthpiece to use in the Colts when I was there.  We did highly suggest using a Bach 3C because so many younger kids in the line hadn't ever gotten off the Bach 7C that came with their first cornet or trumpet.  

Remember how young that line in '94 was?  Especially the sops?

Indeed, the Bach 3C did have a sharper rim -- but only for those who used too much pressure and not enough air on a consistent basis.  Sound familiar from your younger days?  

]:-)

Anyhow. . .

I played on a Schilke 13a4a for all 5 years that I marched Lead Sop in the Colts (1980 - 1984), and keep it to this day for lead trumpet work.  I was one of those weird guys that could make it dark or make it cut, depending on the intent of the music.  Don't know why. . . I just could.

I can't say I'm a fan of matching mouthpieces in any line.  I used to be. . . but now I am more concerned with matching tone, and highlighting individual strengths of players rather than pretending that I have a cookie-cutter and the students are the dough. . .

:o)

ok, ya got me...my wording was a bit strong there...considering I was trying to play a Schilke 14a4a and wasn't allowed to.  I completely understand the reasoning behind not wanting ME personally to play on that mouthpiece....I could not/cannot make it sound open or dark at all...which has a lot to do with my tendency to "overblow" the mouthpiece.  I just can't get notes to speak with it...however, my Warburton will lay walls flat! :)  I just really really REALLY do not like the 3C! lol

Actually, I don't think it was you who even said anything to me about it....I think it was Dean... :)

Anyhow, hope you're doing well...looking forward to seeing you again this summer!

Justin