Just Watched 1978 Legacy DVD

I have blocked this year out of my memory.

Mitch, I can send you a tape of the prelims show if you want to relive fond memories.... :P

A little Glinka, a little Shostakovich, a little "Do Ya Wanna Get Funky With Me"....

Alot of the horn players in Guardsmen went on to march in 1979.  Pretty talented group.  We never could march however and the drumline was always iffy.  Nice guard tho.

One of the fun things about having the 77-78 Legacy DVDs is that there are a number of people here on DCP who marched those years, so Ive been combing them to find you guys. Terri, there were a couple of moments where I thought I saw you in the Guardsmen performance. Ive been looking hard for Nancy Vetrano too (Lancerfi). Trying get my PC working correctly so I can watch the DVDs there and screen capture those of you I can identify. I sometimes use a animated gif avatar captured from 77 finals.

Somehow we all looked so much better back then!!!

You can definitely see me in concert playing the v/r olds ultratone stubby FH.

BTW, I think I look better NOW!

:P

1978 was, I believe, the last year Rick Young was the brass caption head.  Rick is one heck of a brass instructor.

Don Hill (now with Cadets) was the main man that year. Quality, intonation, balance, blend, were all primary goals of the Blue Stars horn line. We consistanly placed high at DCI and in 77 and 78 we were top 5.

Thanks for the recognition.

Sev

Blue Stars 74-81

Mitch, I can send you a tape of the prelims show if you want to relive fond memories.... :P

A little Glinka, a little Shostakovich, a little "Do Ya Wanna Get Funky With Me"....

As soon as they brought out Shosta AND Do you wanna at the same time, we knew this would not be a banner year in Cavalier history!

*sigh* but i got to see Niagra Falls for the first time that summer :music:

Edited by dc oldtimer

I liked Blue Stars as well for the Horn Line. Loved the blend and the total sound. I'd also say that the Percussion Line should get cudos too. I thought the writing was inovative and really took advantage of the voicings and structure available then. Some really good writing for the keyboards esp. Really cool.

Jim Wolf

71-77 N. J. Black Watch

Sev - the Blue Stars were a top five hornline in 1979 as well. I wonder if Don Hill still uses the Bobby Knight teaching style? What is interesting is that we never had more than two or three horn instructors. The Blue Stars list eight members of the brass staff this year plus a ninth as the arranger. There is no doubt the members today receive much more individual attention.

Edited by mcjordansc

Well, in actuality there are about five full-time staff that will be there for at least a majority of the summer. The rest are part-time, and some have to leave for part of the summer for other obligations, so other staff will come in at those points. However, it is still more than we've had in the past; all the years I've marched we never had more than two. I'm glad we've expanded past that, though, especially with the larger line.

Ive got an interesting story for you about Scouts and 78 Bridgemen.

We were out west somewhere ( I cant recall where) Bridgemen had already performed that night and some of your guys were sitting in the back stands as we did our backfield warm up. We finish the warm up with a quadruple f concert G. The idea is to get something to ring the stands, create a little excitement for the waiting crowd. Anyway we hit this chord, its loud and obnoxious! We release the note, all feeling good about ourselves about to turn around and march onto our field positions, when all of a sudden one of your guys in a very hearable disgusted voice says "Quality"! Oh ####! 128 heads all swivelled up to where he was sitting, all of us ready to pour into the stands and beat the crap out of this guy. I think a few of the guys were cursing him and calling him out! The two guys on either side of him look at him like they dont know him! and they want to leave quickly and silently. Lol!

Its all we can do to march out onto the field and truth be told, we were taken completely out of our game that night. One word did it! After we got off the field, about 20 guys went looking for him.

I believe the reason there was so much resentment was that in fact he was right! We were splatty and our horn scores were dragging us down in 78. But that guy was lucky he didnt get a load of pent up displaced anger raining down on him!

Jim anyone from Bridgemen ever tell you that story?

I don't recall that story..Then again that was many brain cells ago.

I remember we were togther in Texas & Oklahoma

before Denver. That year was a tough ending for the drum line.

We had gone undefeated in drums all year including beating the west when they came out in July and Madison by about 7 tenths in Ok and ended up in 5th.

I'll never forget that Ludwig just came out with the white dot snare heads and we put them on a day before prelims. We started our field warm up and all of a sudden three of them popped. But believe it or not it was probably our best drum performance of the year.

At least I was able to enjoy some hardware my last 2 years.

Jim Dugan

Bridgemem

Snare 78-81

As soon as they brought out Shosta AND Do you wanna at the same time, we knew this would not be a banner year in Cavalier history!

*sigh* but i got to see Niagra Falls for the first time that summer :music:

I had a good friend in Cavies that year. We were both marching our first year in corps. He and I commiserated about not making finals. Not a fun time. But, as he said, "Well, we didn't make finals . . . together." :(