I'm glad the the Bridgemen got DQed in 77

All that reading for three interesting things:

1) Thank you Jimmy for perspective and clarity, as always

2) Thank you John for clarifying what Hoffman knew and when; there's no escaping that he was trying to be too clever by half regarding the rules, and the corps suffered for it (which sux)

3) Thank you Ironlips for pointing how the original poster got the whole premise wrong -- no one got into finals due to the DQ! The tie for 12th place in prelims guaranteed 13 corps in finals (or 12 if B'men had not marched).

(Had Garfield been a tenth lower, they might still be regretting the prelims Amen, but we'll never know since it worked out for them!)

Bottom line, what happened to the Bridgemen only affected the Bridgemen. Given the situation, I'm still amazed at their finals performance.

All that reading for three interesting things:

1) Thank you Jimmy for perspective and clarity, as always

2) Thank you Doug for clarifying what Hoffman knew and when; there's no escaping that he was trying to be too clever by half regarding the rules, and the corps suffered for it (which sux)

3) Thank you Ironlips for pointing how the original poster got the whole premise wrong -- no one got into finals due to the DQ! The tie for 12th place in prelims guaranteed 13 corps in finals (or 12 if B'men had not marched).

(Had Garfield been a tenth lower, they might still be regretting the prelims Amen, but we'll never know since it worked out for them!)

Bottom line, what happened to the Bridgemen only affected the Bridgemen. Given the situation, I'm still amazed at their finals performance.

I'd disagree. I'd say what happened to the Bridgemen also affected the corps whose director pursued the protest, and had us disqualified...It affected them in '77, and they were haunted by it for years to come.

I suppose that those people who believe this to be true also believe that the Red Sox have won 27 World Championships, and not the Yankees. :)

James My dear friend,

I always loved the Bridgemen and have many friends and thought 1977 was a shame for what happened to you. But DON"T be making fun of the RED sox :shutup: Gees.... next you'll be telling me I have to love the GIANTS (who I used to like, until some jerk caught a football on his helmet and destroyed our perfect season) :devil: .

HAPPY NEW YEAR to all my friends in 'Jersey.

John

I'm rarely on here anymore, but I was surprised to find yet another 77 Bridgemen topic. It's almost reminiscent of the Black Sox Scandal of 1919, except for a few small details. (sarcasm off) Once more, hopefully for the last time, I would like to shed some light on the 77 Bridgemen, when I was 17 years old.

We had a very interesting mix of home-grown members, and out-of-towners, like me. It all came together rather well, especially when Jim Brady, our extraordinary soloist was entered into the mix. It was an incredible ride. Best year of drum corps ever for me! Why? We survived, and got through a horrible experience. There is far more to learn about life, and the inhabitants of this planet than merely competition. The Bridgemen experience in 1977 taught me a GREAT DEAL ABOUT LIFE!

Did we know what was going on in regard to "rules infractions"? Not until DCI MIDWEST in Whitewater, Wisconsin, when we were lined up, and asked to produce personal identification. The two members that had marched as 21-year-olds, didn't march again. They were replaced. Did our staff/management misinterpret the rules, and drop the ball? Apparently so, but most of us were just innocent teenagers doing our best to compete on the national level with our peers. Not sure how or why this specific misinterpretation of DCI rules occurred, but let it be known that most of the corps was not aware of this, although some individuals would have you believe that the entire corps conspired to have two of our members violate the rules of DCI in 1977. This was just not the case, and I suppose that those people who believe this to be true also believe that the Red Sox have won 27 World Championships, and not the Yankees. :)

We were informed that we were DISQUALIFIED after traveling from Fort Collins, CO., to Boulder, CO., the day before prelims. It was very devastating, and our spirits were very low. We learned that we had been reinstated (thanks to a court injunction) when we arrived at prelims, 30 minutes before our performance.

Of course, as some have mentioned, we gave some very intense performances at prelims, and at finals. We overcame the jeers, and turned them into cheers, at some point during each show. That was incredibly gratifying, and exhilarating!

In 77, we had a strong horn line, a drum line and guard that were coming on, decent marching, and a rather weak visual program. But the overall package was pretty strong, and packed a lot of punch.

Winning the very first DCI EAST Championship at J. Birney Crum, against some pretty strong competition... was one of many highlights of 1977 for all of us.

And for those that like to take shots at the Bridgemen...that is your prerogative. It's a free country. (At least for now) We didn't appeal to everyone,(and still don't) but then again, there are several corps that don't appeal to me, for various reasons. But I will always respect them, and give them credit for working hard, and performing to the best of their abilities!

That's what drum corps is all about.

Thanks for reading.

Peace, love, and Happy New Year!

Jim Jordan

Thanx for that first hand clarification Jim!

Some events in drum corps have an amazing resonance, and this is one of them.

I was Garfield's brass instructor in '77. We violated more rules than anybody. We sang. (Yes, at Prelims and Finals. It was the following year that a different staff chose not to do so.) We had the color guard play brass. Both of these carried threat of disqualification.

I rationalized the latter to the rules Nazis by claiming they were horn players who carried flags, and there was no rule against that. As for singing, I wanted to remove it for Prelims since I knew we would be borderline and even a one tenth penalty could bump my students out. The corps wouldn't hear of it and demanded we sing. #### the torpedoes. We did, and were penalized, and tied the Kilts.

The Bridgemen had nothing to do with it. They had bested us all year long and rightfully so. We weren't remotely competitive with them. Our job was to fend off the Kilts and Oakland. DeLucia and Hoffman were my close personal friends and I was deeply saddened by what happened to their corps. But the Bridgmen showed amazing resilience and came back stronger than ever. By 1980, they were once again in a position to win it all.

In the final analysis, it's quite an accomplishment to be absent from competition for almost 30 years and still remain one of the most beloved drum corps of all time. Those people were game changers and their influence is still being felt. Consider the band from Kyoto in this morning's Rose Parade. Bobby Hoffman, reloaded.

The OP was mis-informed about how Garfield got into Finals that year. The Cadets would have made it on the merits, regardless of any disqualification. Besides, there would certainly be no merit in moving up in position based on the misfortune of another corps. We were all aware of that and wanted nothing to do with it. Our motivation was to make the night show despite the DQ, not because of it.

Oakland and Anaheim were fabulous and they (and a couple of others) could have surpassed Garfield on any given day. And as for the Blue Devils, Santa Clara and Bridgemen, I was subsequently privileged to teach all of them and while they were intensely competitive, there was always great mutual respect among them.

Forgive the long post, but those of a certain age are obliged to pass on the history. That's the point of DCP's historical forum.

I still remember dci east and the bridgemen winning. The crowd went nuts on their win. On our way back to the busses. The Brigdemen were popping beers on their victory!!!! only in the 70s lol.

Jimmy, don't ever feel compelled to defend or explain yourself or the corps to anyone.

I was in the Venice last night. Anyone could have walked up and asked Claire or Bigga Boy what happened. But they would have missed out on the fun it was to be with the '71 drum line. The reason I go every year.

Want to talk about scandal? Try the '72 Jersey Invitational in Garfield. More corps members were in street clothes, on the track in front of their corps during retreat, than in the ranks.

Because it was rumored that Mrs. B was going to put an end to age abuse once and for all.

It was just the way it was, all corps included. And we all laugh about it now.

Go Giants!

Some events in drum corps have an amazing resonance, and this is one of them.

I was Garfield's brass instructor in '77. We violated more rules than anybody. We sang. (Yes, at Prelims and Finals. It was the following year that a different staff chose not to do so.) We had the color guard play brass. Both of these carried threat of disqualification.

I rationalized the latter to the rules Nazis by claiming they were horn players who carried flags, and there was no rule against that. As for singing, I wanted to remove it for Prelims since I knew we would be borderline and even a one tenth penalty could bump my students out. The corps wouldn't hear of it and demanded we sing. #### the torpedoes. We did, and were penalized, and tied the Kilts.

The Bridgemen had nothing to do with it. They had bested us all year long and rightfully so. We weren't remotely competitive with them. Our job was to fend off the Kilts and Oakland. DeLucia and Hoffman were my close personal friends and I was deeply saddened by what happened to their corps. But the Bridgmen showed amazing resilience and came back stronger than ever. By 1980, they were once again in a position to win it all.

In the final analysis, it's quite an accomplishment to be absent from competition for almost 30 years and still remain one of the most beloved drum corps of all time. Those people were game changers and their influence is still being felt. Consider the band from Kyoto in this morning's Rose Parade. Bobby Hoffman, reloaded.

The OP was mis-informed about how Garfield got into Finals that year. The Cadets would have made it on the merits, regardless of any disqualification. Besides, there would certainly be no merit in moving up in position based on the misfortune of another corps. We were all aware of that and wanted nothing to do with it. Our motivation was to make the night show despite the DQ, not because of it.

Oakland and Anaheim were fabulous and they (and a couple of others) could have surpassed Garfield on any given day. And as for the Blue Devils, Santa Clara and Bridgemen, I was subsequently privileged to teach all of them and while they were intensely competitive, there was always great mutual respect among them.

Forgive the long post, but those of a certain age are obliged to pass on the history. That's the point of DCP's historical forum.

Well said, Sir!