6/15 Toledo, OH

As a disclaimer, this is my first review. Enought said. ;)

My girlfriend and I arrived at Toledo's Glass Bowl roughly 2 hours before the show started. After meeting up with the rest of the people we were sitting with, we ventured off into the lots to check out warm ups. To make a long story short, I was like a kid in a candy store. I've wanted to be "let loose" at a show for years while I was performing in my corps, and tonight when I finally got the chance, I was so excited at being able to watch lines warm up that I missed the first two corps, Glory Cadets and Capital Regiment. So I'll leave them out of the review. :lol:

COLTS: The Div1 action started off with a performance from the Colts. The show began with a tasteful, backfield segment that led to a ballad-like hit frontfield. The first thing I noticed was a change in marching style. The Colts now march in a manner that is very similar to that of BK. The guard started the opener with everyone on rifle (a trend through the night). Their uniforms were very "en fuego," with reds, yellows, etc. that I thought worked very well. The drill up until the ballad seemed to have many small ensemble moments and could be called "Theme and Variations on a Box Rotation." Throughout most of the opener, the contras were rather distracting. Nearly all of them looked as if they were about to fall over. Definite posture issues in that line, even for mid June. The ballad's music didn't particularly move me, but it ended with a nice drill move, tw symetrical loops that unraveled as the hornline put the finishing touches on the piece musically. The next tune's highlight (or low point, depending on your point of view) was what I HOPE was a rippled box rotation. This could be a cool concept, but it was so dirty that form ambiguity seemed to take over. The crowd was definitely confused after this one, not knowing if it was done on purpose or not. The last 1:30 or so of the drill was unfinished, with the corps marking time and playing. I wouldn't have much of a problem with this, except for the fact that even the mark time was so sloppy. Corps members looked drained and feet were a definite issue. All in all this seems like it will be a nice show after the kinks are worked out. However, the opener seems to be the real high point of the show, which is a little anticlimactic.

SOUTHWIND: The first things I noticed when SW took the field was the unusual pit placement- at an angle and partially on the field, as well as the small guard. I only counted 22, but I could be off. Holes maybe? Anyways, the first second of the show is unbelievable. It's like the first 15 seconds of 01 Madison turned evil. They instantly slam you with the opening of Toccata and Fugue in D, which I thought was very powerful, esp. for this early in the season. With such a great opening, I was expecting a teriffic rest of the show. From right after their opening hit until the end, I was wondering if the contras were even marching the same show as the rest of the corps. There was quite a bit of visual ambiguity, most of which dealt with "Is it a box, or is it scatter drill?" The brass book in the rest of Toccata seemed a step above Southwind's past. It was full of very demanding interval jumps which were definitely a highlight for them. Good execution. The ballad was uneventful. Afterwards the snareline did something a little different. Their percussion fills were very interesting due to the small splash cymbals attatched to the sides of each snare drum. After the ballad there also wasn't any guard work, leaving quite a bit of room for improvement. All in all, the first 30 seconds do it for me, but that leaves 10:30ish left to fill with something interesting. The corps, and esp. the sopranos (very noticable), has an improved sound this year, which ought to make SW more competitive. Highlight of the show? When some guy screamed "Go Yellow Team!!!!"

BLUECOATS: I expected Urban Dances to be a dark horse this year, but by the crowd's amazing reaction, it looks to be "the show" as far as all of the DCM corps go. The day in a city begins with Sunrise. While not a demanding tune, the short piece truly depicts a sunrise, with the corps in the back corner and the guard rushing out in a burst of different color. Subtle, but effective. Then comes the morning rush with Paradise Utopia. For 32 counts the corps does the "traffic jam" moves, VERY demanding on individuals, and yes, it looks like a traffic jam. Tough to describe. Then they suddenly hit into actual forms which are accented by yet another guard entirely on rifle. During the percussion feature there is a very cool "rifle fugue" that took me a second or two to actually get. As far as the drumline goes, the BlueQ is SMOKIN. if you get multiple viewings of Urban Dances, follow them around for one of them. It's amazing. The ballad starts with a guard and... soprano... dance feature choreographed by Jim Buckley of the Baltimore Ballet. Nicely done, but just a tad more grace is needed in the hornline. ;) Musically this piece in incredible, and IMHO even better than 01's Red Cape Tango. Then comes Traffic. The entire back half of this show is just lock and load. Traffic features each section of the corps ripping off funk licks and just has to be seem to be believed. There were some ensemble issues tonight, but nothing too serious. Then comes Day's End which starts off with a contra groove under a screaming soprano solo fit for any hip jazz club. The drill was fast paced and demanding, but the real highlight was the park and blow, which was for me, the most exciting thing since Niagra Falls. Incredible moment. The rest of the tune does little reprises of the rest of the show, ending with the 200bpm Paradise Utopia reprise. The last 30 seconds or so were done still because of unfinished drill. All in all, I think this is the show to look out for this season. Definitely the most entertaining, and one of the most demanding shows of the night. As far as brass goes, I wouldn't be suprised if every other corps doesn't go knocking down Kanstul's door after hearing the Bluecoats.

PHANTOM REGIMENT: My first impression, great lower body technique coming onto the field. This is something that has never grabbed me before with anyone, but it was noticible tonight. Second impression, the disgusting "puke-yellow" drums (to quote 4 people around me). The show begins with a big hit and a backing away company front. The low brass was especially impressive during the opener, producing a very dark sound. The ballad was nicely accented with high brass/guard dance interaction. The next tune showed the guard with big, shiny Soviet sickles being spun. Very cool. I'd love to see them go on after the Cadets. heh The third tune seemed very physically demanding for the hornline, seeing white plumes running all over the place. The guard uniforms at the end were just gorgeous, with the red accents and red flags, they fit the final tune very well. The last 30 seconds of the show were very exciting, not to mention very loud, especially for June. However after hearing the Bluecoats Kanstuls, the G bugles sounded stuffy and the intonation was less than stellar. 2002 is looking for be a very promising year for Phantom, and I wish them all the best of luck. This seems like one of those shows that will constantly grow on you.

PIONEER: Putting Pioneer on after Bluecoats and Phantom was bad. Very bad. The new plaid sashes made me think of pajama parties. They started off with picnic tables accross the field, which drew me in. From the start, the tenor sound was disgusting. I'm not sure what kind of heads or drums they're using, but somewhere a fire is in need of fuel and they would make an excellent choice. The second tune had a really cool hand drum feature done by the cymbal line, which probably would have been even cooler if I could have heard it. During the ballad the picnic tables came in to play, as the hornline made a heart shape with them. For the big hit, they suddenly stood on top of them, which made for a cool 3D drill moment, though a bit high on the cheesy side. My favorite part of the show was definitely the snare line. They seemed very intense throughout the production, throwing down some nice, and very aggreessive licks. I'll be anxious to see where their percussion finishes. The last minute or so of the show was the most exciting part. Afterwards when they played their little troop-the-stands-ditty, all good things I was about to say disappeared and turned into pure loathing. ;) I'd give anything to stop that song from being played.

MADISON SCOUTS: Madison knows how to work a crowd, and they do it extremely well. Their on field warm up ended up a front field impact. Very nice. The first 20-30 seconds of the show is made up of near-silent drill. It looks very demanding, and shows some definite forward direction from the corps. Midway through the opener I was blinking my eyes in shock. It appeared as if the drum major was high marking time in 6/8 while he conducted one hand of 6/8 and the other in 3/4. Maybe I was smoking crack and my eyes were deceiving me, so hopefully someone else caught it. The second tune was marked by some very nice mallet work. The tenor line had a feature where they slowly walked forward to the tympanist, who JOINED them in the feature on his drums. It was my percussive highlight of the night. :D The end of the show was very exciting, but was killed when multiple horn players were out of step during the big company front. All in all, I'd say it's a great show. Not as entertaining as last year, but more demanding, which will pay off. Now if only their drill writer would stop with those blasted open circles.

CAVALIERS: Stunning visuals with musical accompaniment. There were some nice soloists in the intro, a bari and 3 sops. Very good sound for the most part, the sops got a little tinny in the end. The hornline as a whole had a very dark sound, improved over last year. I don't know what to attribute it to though, my guess would be good arranging and splitting of parts. The ballad's highpoint was a company front where the corps gives the audience a stereo effect. The sound goes from end to end with guard accents to show its travel. Very cool. The third tune had quite a bit of the Cavies' signature WOW countermovement that really showed intensity. Sop features in this song were VERY demanding with good execution. The show's highlight, and one fo DCI's highlight for 02 will be the counting chant/dance feature. Think "New Era" kicked up 10 notches. Even the hornline was getting down. :) The end of the show can be summed up with "Somewhere Over the Rainbow." Very nice show. I can't wait until the finished product.

GLASSMEN: The first 30-45 seconds of brass were disgusting. I'm hoping that it's just because of weak chops from practice. To counter this, the percussion kicked the opener off with a great feature. Hwever, this momentum was quickly stopped by the least exciting park and blow of all time. With a few sht notes and one scream, I was regretting not having left for a hotdog. A little further into the show and it's Welcome back Imago pose! After the ballad the corps is spread throughout the entire back of the field. There is some great 4 to 5 countermotion here that creates a lot of velocity and excitement. In the closer, what we all expected, our old friend the triangle. They rotated to little/no musical excitement. This shw had very little GE, and did abslutely nothing for me, despite it's good level of cleanliness for June.

The DCM Allstar Review ended with America/O Canada (please change it back to the older arrangement!!!!!!!!). The real thing to look for this year is the Glassmen/Phantom/Bluecoat battle. It's going to be an exciting year, full of great shows.

The Madison drum major was using multiple meters in the opener! Totally amazing!! I agree, Glassmen was flat...looked a lot like last year. <_<

gosh you guys....your making me want drum corps NOW........I NEED MY FIX!

Man, I love how everyone seems to miss the Div II/III corps! I have looked at about 5 reviews of shows now that said they did not see the II/III shows! That pisses me off! These kids are working just as hard and sometimes harder than the Div I corps, but are getting no respect for it. Thats just sad.

Guest GeorgeD

I agree that it is sad so many reviewers have seemed to "arrive late" but just in time for the first DIV I corps. I will do my best to push the "complete" reviews on the DCP homepage.

George

The DCM Allstar Review ended with America/O Canada (please change it back to the older arrangement!!!!!!!!).

OOOHHH... I gotta disagree with you here..

I LOVE the new arrangement.. it's much more melodic than the old screaming version.. I don't know a single corps who ever played the old arrangement exactly as it should be (okay.. Scouts.. but duh).. and it always ended up being a soprano screaming contest -- to the detriment of not only the arrangement but also the tune..

the new one is head and shoulders above the old.. IMO.

<_< B)

Guest GeorgeD

Cool. I can't wait to hear it! I agree the old one was losing integrity lately with all the sops blasting away. That song should be played with reverence and respect. IMO.

I liked the old arrangement of America/O Canada better mostly because it turned into a screaming contest. But then again, I was on the playing side of it, not the listening side. ;) Nothing beats holding the double G at the end, and then taking THAT up a partial. Others used to throw tags on the end, or like if Cavies won the show, you'd head the Somewhere Over the Rainbow theme at the end. heh

I missed the Div II/III corps because I wanted to see my old corps' drumline warm up. I actually would like to teach at one of those (Capital Regiment) next year, so I DEFINITELY don't have anything against them. I just missed my friends. :)