Best slow solo ever?

radiosteele

• 2 weeks later...
BD 1990 (the guy with glasses...)

The soprano solo before the closer is one of my favorite drum corps moment of all time.

Beautiful sound... amazing !

That was Larry. He posts on here occasionally. He was a long time member of the Florida Wave and I believe aged out in his rookie year with BD. I too agree, that was the most beautiful solo of the 90 show for BD. I briefly met Larry in Buffalo that year when we were preparing for I & E.

I enjoy the solos in the 1990 Bluecoats version of Caravan - not solos that you're going to think of as "great" because they're pretty short, but they just really fit in and add the sprinkles on top of the piece.

1989 Colts ballad - I forget what the name of it was, but Erin Wher, now Erin Wher-Flowers who I believe still judges sometimes, did a really nice job on the solo.

2001 Chops - Freebird solo as played by Greg Hiniker.

1995 Pioneer - Contra solo as the "drunken Irishmen"

I've seen this discussion before and feel obliged to say that the best ever was indeed the Cadets mellophone soloist from '83-84. I wish I could remember her name. Sweet sound, total control, never cracked a note. Beautiful.

• Like 1

I acutally saw Glassmen for the first time at DCM finals this year. That monster that they had playing the Flugle was awesome. Clean, bright sound, very virtuostic.

I want to remind you all of the great sound mellophone player Kent Rockow made for the Madison Scouts in 1988, their latest championship year.

At the end of Malaguena, the horn line plays really loud in a big wedge. Then the sound stops and Kent plays the most beautiful, professional sound I'd heard come out of a mellophone. Kent's sound and the staging made that soft, slow solo the most memorable of the year for me.

I don't know Kent. But I just had to find out who that guy was, and I've never forgotten that drum corps moment. Where is Kent playing these days? Does anyone know?

Roger Grupp

Prematurely bald bugler for 30 years

• Like 1