Best slow solo ever?

radiosteele

Although biased, I would suggest you check out 1997-98 East Coast Jazz.

Adam Rapa (currently on tour with Blast!) did an incredible job with "Threshold" in 97 and "Artemis & Apollo" in 98. Great tone, range and style and he was on the money every rehearsal and performance.

Fred Ford

East Coast Jazz

1987 Royalaires "My Heart Belongs to Me" Larry Dastrup of Blue Devils and Rengades fame, played a sweet soprano solo to help bring the show to a climactic conclusion... Great Job Larry!! Be one with the "Evil 7"... LOL ^0^

1987 Royalaires "My Heart Belongs to Me" Larry Dastrup of Blue Devils and Rengades fame, played a sweet soprano solo to help bring the show to a climactic conclusion... Great Job Larry!!  Be one with the "Evil 7"... LOL  ^0^

In '79 with BD I played the solos on sop. But actually it was '86 with the Royalaires, and I played it on a piccolo sop. B) BTW, who are you ripper? And, thanks for the kind words!

Edited by DoubleHighEZ

Barbara Maroney is certainly the best I've ever heard. Unfortunately I've only heard her on recordings. She is the inspiration for a girl from my corps, Momo-chan. For those of you that were at DCA weekend this year, she is the mellophone soloist for the Inspires. I always look foward to hearing her play, even at rehersals. She was a great way to start our DCA show.

Edited by InspaDave

Who was the dude who played the Nessun Dorma solo in '91 Phantom Regiment. Didn't hear him miss all year. That was a pro sound!!!

I do believe that was Ray Vasquez on sop. His rookie year out there. He is now the Jazz Studies chair of the ITG and Caption Head at Blue Stars. Great guy, he also teaches at U of MN - Duluth.

I think you may be confusing what came later in the show during Pagliacci. Also didn't that same Soprano player (Ray Vasquez ?) win Soprano Individuals that year ?

Yes, Ray was Phantom 91 soprano soloist and the DCI I&E Soprano Champion. He aged out of Phantom in 93.

rotogary once again your right on the money

Jim Brady was by far the most incredible soloist I have ever heard.

and as a point of interest the 1980 sop line for the L.I. Kingsmen put 1981 soloists in Bridgemen (john), Crossmen (pete), and 27 (Paul) not to mention a few others