Best slow solo ever?

radiosteele

Who was that Garfiled soloist, and what is she doing now? Still playing? Anyone know?

Roger Grupp

Her name is Barbara Maroney...last time I saw her was in '86...she was on the Cadets brass staff.

It wasn't just the hand she was missing...it was her entire left arm from thye elbow down. Born that way, IIRC. Damndest soloist I ever saw...and remember, without that left hand, she had to lip all those notes the rest of us used the 1st valve slide on.

While I like her 83 solo a lot, her best one was "I Have a Love" from '84. Dino...remember the clinic at Pt. Huron...before it rained out the show? It was the only time we saw Garfield's show from the front, and that solo gave our entire brass line a collective corpsgasm! The last note was 19 seconds long!

She was truly amazing. Who was the Blue Devil girl (lower lead), that l went to De Anza with me for 2 year? I will never forget when I found out she was deaf (a year later). She was so good at reading lips and talking I never knew. That still absolutely blows me away. She was a babe too.

Homer,

I have to agree with you regarding Joel Schultz. His solo for Georgia in '78 and '79 are tops in my mind, and I loved Hunter's interpretation, too.

I am proud to tell all of you who are saying you once knew this soloist or whatever happened to that soloist...Homer and I are lucky to be associated with one of the strongest corps alumni organizations around, Spirit of Atlanta. We are also lucky in that we get to see and talk to Joel and Hunter pretty often...(Homes, Joel just got through teaching brass at my kids' band camp!)

Do yourselves a favor and JOIN or FORM an alumni organization with the corps you were lucky enough to be a part of. If you never marched, but are a loyal supporter, join that corps' booster club. You will be glad you did and your support will carry a more tangible, lasting result.

Holy Crap!!! She was deaf and was in BD? MAn that is amazing, i though that if you were deaf you oculdn't really play music, but i guess i learded something new then didnt i? Thats amazing.

I think she marched the '82 corps...bd5times would probably know.

She was truly amazing. Who was the Blue Devil girl (lower lead), that l went to De Anza with me for 2 year? I will never forget when I found out she was deaf (a year later). She was so good at reading lips and talking I never knew. That still absolutely blows me away. She was a babe too.

Her name is Pam(I forgot her last name). Her first year was '81. She was a second sop. Yes, she was a very good player!

That would be Hunter Moss a 7 year vet (79 - 85) and currently on Spirit staff.  He was one of the 4 members of that 80 mellophone line before becoming a soprano soloist.  He sure gave us a lot of great hang it all out solos.  BTW, you can still catch his act with CorpsVets...he's still got it!

As for slow solos, I have to give it up for my soprano playing buddy Joel Schultz (the original Georgia soloist) for his solo in the 80 version of Let It Be Me.

Thank you. Let him know he's one of my best drum corps memories! (That is if you still see him.)

I'll let him know that for you. Hunter and I stand side by side in CorpsVets. Weshare the duties of soloing. He handles the original solos in Blues in the Night and I play the GEORGIA solo. Believe it or not he is actually getting to relax this year while myself and another rookie are doing most of the screaming on the field. Anyway, he is still on tour with Spirit until after Finals so it will be a couple of weeks until I see him again since I am NOT going to be in Madison (hiss, boo, yack!) next weekend.

Glassmen 01/02

Thanks!

Sean

w/Stp:

• 2 weeks later...