Best slow solo ever?

radiosteele

Who was the dude who played the Nessun Dorma solo in '91 Phantom Regiment. Didn't hear him miss all year. That was a pro sound!!!

He's got my vote too. We had a show together in Stillwater, MN that year. We had gone on a couple of corps before Phantom so I got to hear the show from the front stands, toward the side 1 end zone. He was staged pretty far towards the opposite side of the field, but I remember thinking, dang, that guy fills up the whole stadium. Lush tone, long phrases.

Hi Folks,

I recall an awesome soloist from the North Star, I think it

was 79-80. Much of the show seemed to be written around

him. Anyone recall his name?

Carlos (Los Jonz) Almeida

SCV 81,83 Snare

SCV Alumni Snare 02

Renegades Snare 02 (DCA here we come!)

Hey Carlos! His name is Gerry Noonan. I just saw a video of that show when we were in Madison! And, I understand that he played on a Bach 1 1/2 C! Wow!! :o

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We're just talking about slow solos, right?

In that case, I agree about 1983 Garfield soloist. Just breathtaking.

I'm particularly fond of the mellophone soloist from Phantom Regiment's Transfigured Night, 2000. It's one of my all-time favorite pieces, and the solo is simply beautiful.

'86 Blue Devils..."The guy with the beard". To me, he is the benchmark of all Soprano soloists.

I wish I wasn't in 4th grade in '86...I would loved to have seen that show live. 2 years later though, that was one of the first shows I heard that answered the "What's Drum Corps" question...I've been hooked since.