Quad Sizes

tenorboyuk

a recent discussion at my corps has been, what is the best setup in terms of drum sizes for quads, as we are looking for a deep, more tonal sound i.e. for a more musical score

for example our current 'standard' pearl setup is 2*6" spocks, 8", 10", 12", 13"

anyone opinions?

Actually most corps use 10-12-13-14 with one or 2 (usually) 6" spocks. BD uses a 6" and an 8", BAC uses a single 8".

8-10-12-13 is more common in high schools where weight could be an issue.

Beyond that you'll find significant differences in sound characteristics between Pearl, Yamaha, and Dynasty.

Stick and head selection affects tone as well.

Yep. Full size is best. Go with Pearls with remo suede heads for the most tone. Yamahas I think sound kinda thin and papery. same with dynasty. I love Pearl.

Well...

I do prefer the 10-12-13-14 setup myself. (Dual spocks...single spocks...does it matter?) I have worked with the 8-10-12-13 setup, but man...it's like listening to drums made out or oatmeal tubs.

My line's been using Premeir but will be making a switch to Pearl ...namely due to the fact that our 5 year old Premier snare drums have become absolutly worthless peices of ####. Well, in actuality, they became peices of #### about a year after we purchased them, but we put up with it for an additional 4 years untill they were absolutly unuseable. (One I may add, was a peice of #### right out of the box).

The tenors on the other hand, have held up well (with some minor cosmetic problems). They're completly functional and still sound VERY nice. Be a shame to pull em apart and turn them into bash drums in a year.

Jason

Edited by fmcorps