2 Percussion Rules Proposals

MikeN

http://www.dci.org/news/news.cfm?news_id=e...b7-b2cd231ba97b

Here's the gist:

#1 - Adding a Percussion Ensemble judge and giving equal weight to battery and pit, to make sure that the pit gets feedback from every judged performance.

#2 - Moving the Percussion Performance judge into the stands, so he can watch the pit as well, not just the battery...

Mike

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[1] Please check out the article on the two new rules relating to judging the battery and front ensemble:

Go to www.dci.org or directly to the article at

http://www.dci.org/news/news.cfm?news_id=e...b7-b2cd231ba97b

[2] The first rule I like because I think it will give the front ensemble more feedback and attention.

[3] I am not sure about the second rule (putting the battery judge in the stands). Safety issues aside, does it not require that that battery judge, to do a decent job, be up-close. I mean, being in the stands, even if in the first row, can obstruct the judge's view, say, when the hornline (or colorguard) is in front of the batter or the battery is turned away from the audience.

Please share your thoughts (and maybe set me straight). Thanks!

I think putting them in the stands is a good thing for two reasons. First, I'm a pit guy, so I'm all for the pit being a bigger part of the drum score. Second, to me it's a lot more important what the ensemble as a whole sounds like from the stands than what the snare line sounds like from 3 inches away.

Jim

sigh. there is so much that can be missed from the stands.

listening to the tapes on the dvd, and any tape i have ever had, the pit does get coverage,tho sometimes not enough, but there is no need to take the performance judge off the field. does this mean performance brass and performance visual get moved?

we already have a music ensemble judge, shouldn't he adress ensemble issues as part of his sheet?>

the upstairs judge is needed, as is the field guy. Mike can you merge the discussion on the juniors page with this?

thanks some points for both sides were raised in the old one.

I think putting them in the stands is a good thing for two reasons. First, I'm a pit guy, so I'm all for the pit being a bigger part of the drum score. Second, to me it's a lot more important what the ensemble as a whole sounds like from the stands than what the snare line sounds like from 3 inches away.

Jim

Jim et al,

I am going to disagree that the one and only judge shuld be moved to the stands. I am not a fan of drumlines hiding out inside an ensemble. However, I do agree that there is a need for a percussion ensemble judge 1) To Hear the whole ensemble and assess their excellence as a whole 2) To get the different perspective not judged on the field (ie. Ensemble judge focusing on pit when field guy is in front of battery and vice versa.

I think this works pretty well in DCA when the field guy handles his responsibilities properly.

Cp