2 Percussion Rules Proposals

MikeN

After reading multiple replies, I can see where the different reasons come to place. I just want to add that the term performance really means something to me. If the current drum judge goes to the stands, how can you really see the performance (other than from a distance). The performance should be judged by the character of the performers from up close.

exactly. how can you get a look at the snares playing a passage at the edge of the drum from upstairs, especially if hidden within the drill.

How can you get a good look at interp player to player from 100 yards away?

the ensemble judge will address the conerns noted, and keeping the field guy will allow for a quality look at individual performance.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I totally understand the desire to keep the drum judge on the field. There is a safety issue, though. Of all the judge collisions I've seen in the last several years, I'd say about 90% of them involved the percussion performance judge. By nature of getting in close to the performers, they really do tend to get in the way of the other non-percussionists on the field. The other two field judges can get away with sampling more from a distance. So I can understand both sides of this issue.

i agree there seems to be more collisions. as many of these judges see the shows several times, my advice as someone who has started judging, is to stay back more early on til you get a better feel for the drill and where they are going. Of course changes in drill happens, but anyone judging finals week should have seen everyone at least 3/4 times.

Hey Jeff, maybe you should send something to DCI about that "seeing a show 3/4 times" thing if they judge finals.  Seems they might have missed that memo this year.

I second that. This proposal brings up a good point. Perhaps more preparation is needed from the judges to analyze shows (in other words, for them to understand where to go in the drill), and make decisions on sections of the show to which they would go out on the field and sample the battery's individual abilities.

I would support a change such as this before seeing the percussion judge taken off of the field. In fact, I would venture to say that would rip my heart apart :(

(No really, it would) The batteries that I marched in had such unique and gratifying moments with percussion judges. While I feel that the percussion judge's communication isn't the whole motivation for the battery or the activity as a whole, it certainly is an amazing rush to nail your role individually & collectively--then to receive cues from the percussion judge that he/she was absolutely blown away by the performance. (Or completely disgusted, or hysterically laughing. Even hearing Chuck King get vaguely emotional is great...I have anecdote after anecdote that I will never forget)

Besides, what stories would marching percussionists have to tell to each other? "Hey man, do you remember that time out on the field when like,...oh wait, that's right...times like that didn't exist and nobody saw anything because there wasn't anyone standing in front of us."

Or worse, (You have to read this next one in a Chris Farley show host fashion)

"Hey do you remember that time when...you ticked alot and the judge wasn't there to check it out and...you guys won drums...Yeah, that was cool." <**>

Boo I say, and that's all I say because collegiate studies are ordering me back to work.

P.S. A Front Ensemble judge sounds overdue and very cool.

#1 - Adding a Percussion Ensemble judge and giving equal weight to battery and pit, to make sure that the pit gets feedback from every judged performance.

#2 - Moving the Percussion Performance judge into the stands, so he can watch the pit as well, not just the battery...

sorry to come in late

it sounds like dci should train its judges better, or find ways to hold them accountable to judging battery and pit equally, rather than add new rules. moving perc. perfomance into the stands is ludicrous. you can't judge a battery on technical issues in the stands, give me a break.

no limiting the judge where he goes is just as damaging as keeping gim in the stands. all you have to do then is design the drill to hide the drums and boom, he can't hear half the show because of the 60 horns in front of him.

also to the person who said about make it mandatory to do 1/2 battery and half pit....ever try to cover everything in 11 minutes? it's tough, especially if the drill traps you and you have no way to get back up front.

fantomas said it best....i have copis of judges tapes i still listen to 13 years later. yet i have upsatairs tapes i hardly ever touch. wonder why.