2 Percussion Rules Proposals

MikeN

As far as the other rule goes, I would looove for there to be a separate front ensemble judge. True, no judge can judge EVERYTHING, but it really bothers me that a percussion trophy and a portion of the overall scores are based on someone who watched one small section (snares) for almost 70% of the show. I mean there are some crazy tympanists that never get any credit becuase the percussion judge is busy pointing out the dropped sixteenth by one of the snare drummers. Honestly, as far as percussion judging goes, the front ensemble could just play the ballad and tacit the rest and most judges would know any better. It bothers me.

I'd love to see a front ensemble judge as well! It's a shame that a lot of the great front ensemble parts in a show are ignored. In addition to what you just said, the converse is also true. There's been lots of pits that have been able to get away with murder sometimes, because the perc. judge is busy standing in front of the snareline. We NEED a judge in the box!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the judges should know the shows by finals and no where to go. if they dont shame on DCI for giving 1st or 2nd reads finals week

I'd say not necessarily...the field judge could get the nitty-gritty of technique, which includes coming out front to watch the front ensemble, while the ensemble judge could look at things from a holistic standpoint

I have to disagree with that; again, there's stuff you catch on the field that you just don't see in the stands.

There's also a ton of stuff you miss, having to judge over 120 performers. I believe you can still sample and do everything necessary to judge that caption from off the field. Oh well...totally different topic and different forum. I wish there was a marching or visual forum besides the color guard one.

i wish field judges in all disciplines would be allowed to stay and judge performance. once you go upstairs, imo, opinion creeps in, and the emphasis goes towards design