Drum Corps Rumble?

Marched in Crossmens drumline in the 70's. Never had a problem with Blue Stars.

Yeah, this is "news" to me too! I never heard of any problems with our drumline and Blue Stars.

Now Sky Ryders is another story! :lol:

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I distinctly remember some *interesting* times between the Bluecoats and bones around the 95 96 era.... particularly in Allentown. something happened up near the sops, next thing we knew, xmen had fallen out of the block and were all lined up on the yardline facing us. Lots of "leaning" into each other going on that night.

Here's a biker-drum corps story for you. I know this one to be true because I was there, and I never tell stories. :lol:

It was either '76 or'77 and we were at a show in Huntington, PA. A few miles away in the hills was some kind of bluegrass festival. :lol: A large portion of the Pagans MC :lol: were at the bluegrass festival. (Pagans main base is Altoona PA) Seems some of the bikers decided to let their dogs fight each other. ^0^ Some redneck local didn't like it and shot one the main leaders of the Pagans. :(

The whole town was shutdown and we were told to hold-up at the Mickey D's right on US22.

First came the bikers down the highway, at least 200 plus. Then came the cops, 4 to a car, maybe 100 cars.

Needless to say, the show was cancelled. <**>

Thanks for that story, I went to college in Indiana, PA in the late 70s and know that stretch of US22 all too freakin' well. The resturant "district" in that part of Huntingdon was McDs and KFC on one side of the road and Wendys on the other. And nutin' else for another 30 minutes or so.

I've heard stories from some Blue Stars alums from "back in the day" that Crossmen's drumline used to wait in the parking lot for Blue Stars after shows; not too much love lost there, apparently.

I do know it was the Blue Stars that had the honor of filing the protest against the corps in Tenn in 76. The folks of the Bracken Cavilers,who blamed Crossmen for their demise, supplied the information.

Only two major items come to mind in 20 plus years of corps.

Somewhere in TN, mid 80's...late night fuel stop after a show.

Most of us walked to the McDonalds next door to get some food. One of our guard girls was getting harrased by some locals. Her boyfriend (a snare player who visits this site on occasion I believe) "defended her honor" with a few words. Words ensued, a little shoving and shortly thereafter, someone shouted in the door of the McD's "Spirit..... FIGHT". Never have I seen a resturant empty so quickly. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 60 or 70 of us surrounded the thugs car and started harrasing them. The police showed up and basically told the punks that if they had any sense, they'd leave before they got killed.

Lakewood Stadium (all days rehearsal site in a less than desirable area of Atlanta) 1986.

We were rehearsing and had noticed a little boy sitting watching for quite a few minutes on the sidelines. We were learning new drill (To the end of the Sweet Georgia Brown chart). In the middle of the move, I saw our other soprano soloist break rank and start running, screaming something. Assuming he must have a good reason, I immediately followed him not really knowing why. Shortly after breaking out of the form, I realized, that the "little boy" we had seen earlier, was trying to leave the stadium rather swiftly with appx 4 of the fanny packs and bags that had been sitting on the sidelines. Mike Elam had led the charge (skinny white sop soloist at the beginning of the '87 Blues production) followed by myself and a few other surrounding sops. We were quickly followed by a STREAM of about 40 of the hornline chasing down this little kid. We chased him out of the stadium and up a street with Mike and several of the rest of us describing in quite gory detail what we were going to do with him when we caught him.

He eventually gave up and dropped the bags and took off into some woods. We gave up the chase, and turned to realize we were about 3 blocks deep in the middle of one of the worst neighborhoods in Atlanta. We quickly made our way back inside the confines of the stadium. For the next three days however, there was a rash of vandalism of our cars in the parking lots surrounding the stadium. Not sure the bags had been worth it. I'm sure the value of what little we might have had in those bags, was probably less than the damage done to the various vehicles over the next few days.

Later, AA

Edited by nhsalan

The one that comes to mind was in Dover, NJ in 1969 at the Garden State Circuit Championship. I think any old timer can tell you about that story-after it was over, they called it a riot.

St. Lucy's Cadets were involved in their share of rumbles and scuffles. I heard some of the stories prior to when I was a member but the the one that comes to mind was the battle with the Boston Crusaders in 1968 at Bridgeport JFK Stadium.

St. Lucy's won the show that night and bested Boston by over two points.

Neither corps liked each other and things heated up on retreat when Boston turned and spit at St' Lucy's.

Contest officials were anticipating trouble and had St. Lucy's buses inside the Stadium gates. While the corps were dressing after the show, several girlfriends of corps members came back to the bus in tears informing them that members of the Crusaders and friends they had brought with them had a bullwhip and whipped one of the girls across the legs.

The corps director as well as Father Nativo blocked the bus exits but then the members kicked out the emergency windows and poured out of the buses. Flag poles and anything else were grabbed as both corps attempted to meet each other outside the Stadium. Boston obviously was prepared for this since they had stockpiled rocks and bottles for the battle. Rocks and bottles were hurled over the fences and several of St. Lucy's members manged to get to outside the fence. A lime spreader was hurled across the way and split someone's head open. Someone had a BB gun and was shooting that as well. There were some serious injuies on both sides and the police broke it up.

To say the least, an intense dislike became a fiery hatred for each other. The next Bridgeport show, when both corps met again, found police in riot gear with paddy wagons and police dogs.

While Boston and Lucy's never had a fight again after that show, there was a lot of tension whenever they met.

Steve I heard about that one-Hey Steve-Phil told me about it long ago.

Edited by BennyBassDrum

The one that comes to mind was in Dover, NJ in 1969 at the Garden State Circuit Championship. I think any old timer can tell you about that story-after it was over, they called it a riot.

That was between St Andrews Bridgemen and St Martins.

If I remember correctly, it was St Andrews last year in the Garden State Circuit as they went Open class after that.

Is it just me, or is there is something... I don't know... FUNNY about all of these church based drum corps getting into fights with one another?