Another Boston Question

During my years of marching in the mid-eighties, The Boston Crusaders were only called Boston. I was wondering the reasons for this.

Can anyone enlighten me, please?

As I understand it, in the early eighties there was a dispute over the rights to the name "Boston Crusaders" between the corps and a former director who leftor was asked to leave on not so great terms. Until that issue was resolved the corps operated as "Boston". (Of course I could be in error but that's the skinny I've heard from diff't alumni.)

I do not know any specifics of the dispute and I do not know what would be gained by anyone going into further detail about it but...good luck in your quest (or is that CONQUEST?!?! ^_^ )

Here's the story as I've heard it told. I'm not an expert on it, so take it as you will.

Sometime in the 80's, Boston tried a Europe tour, only they either ran out of money or had some severe financial difficulties and got stuck "across the pond". The city of Boston eventually had to bail them out financially just so they could get back. This whole thing exposed some internal mismanagement issues and led to the city actually forbidding the corps to use the name Boston Crusaders, since it had hurt the city's reputation. Why they called themselves "Boston" instead of "Crusaders" or something else, though, I'm not sure.

Here's hoping somebody else fills in all the holes I've left.

Galen has it close - but being a 27th alum - I never heard that the City of Boston bailed them out - and I live right in the city!

I believe the issue of their name was more of a lawsuit. The corps had to "purge" itself of the name for a few years to clear the books. I believe that one or two of the Alumni bailed them out to get home, but there were outstanding debts.

When the financial and legal dust settled, BAC was re-born.

• Like 1

Galen has it close - but being a 27th alum - I never heard that the City of Boston bailed them out - and I live right in the city!

I believe the issue of their name was more of a lawsuit. The corps had to "purge" itself of the name for a few years to clear the books. I believe that one or two of the Alumni bailed them out to get home, but there were outstanding debts.

When the financial and legal dust settled, BAC was re-born.

Yep, this is the story I was told too by members who marched those years they went to Europe.

I'm glad they got their financial situation settled....I've always like "Crusaders" as part of their name. B)

Thanks all...I've been quite curious and your responses have been very helpful.

Hi,

You're all pretty close, actually. After the 1982 Europe tour ended, there was a huge financial problem....I think having to do with an airline bill, among other things. The "Boston Crusaders" organization (at least former management) was legally tied up in court. During the winter of '83, a group of alumi and members got together, "procured" some of the equipment, and proceeded to field a Div. 1 corps of 51 members! The corps, for whatever reason, was not allowed to participate in Drum Corps East, so we only competed in DCI, with our first show of the summer being, believe it or not, Allentown. I'll never forget the standing ovation the corps got as they marched through the gate at J Birney Crum....the announcer said, "I'm supposed to call this next corps "Boston", but we all know them as the "BOSTON CRUSADERS!!!". With 19 horns, they outperformed and outscored over a dozen full size corps. Show was "Mexicali Nose, Rainmaker, Billie Jean, Time for a Change, and CONQUEST". A couple years later, the corps was able to buy back its true name and get financially organized. Although I was not privy to most of the behind the scenes stuff, this is how I remember it....as a drill tech for the corps. BTW, the entire staff worked for no $$$, then and for many years to come.

• Like 1

So Craiga, I guess you remember Tony S. taking the corps down to VA? I was there.....working with the guard. Between me and this other guy, we wrote the opener and I was surprised to see that most of it was still in, when I saw the corps in Allentown.

Yes Malibu,

A great little guard it was....Tony S. Tony D. Paul P. and Michael W. among others, all deserve credit for rescuing the corps....the early 80's history of the corps(I marched in 80, 26 horns--no food on tour) was instrumental in the corps' survival mentality. I forgot to mention that at that 83 Allentown show, we had no housing, so the entire corps an staff slept on the grass right across the street from the back side stands at Crum. Ah, drum corps memories......

Oh yes drum corps memories indeed! In 1981 the night before Allentown's DCI East show, our housing situation got mixed up......so we ended up "trying" to sleep in a barn! Imagine the whole corps laying on hay making all kinds of "barn yard" noises throughout the night! Needless to say, we were tired the next day and ready for a shower. I remember washing up in the little bathroom right across from the park.