Remember When....

I didn't take it as that you were ripping on me. I just didn't clarify what I meant, I suppose. I think you understand where I'm coming from. I don't consider it as punishment so much as discipline. You know, sometimes I see kids who make mistakes automatically drop and do pushups as a way to remind themselves not to mess up. Not necessarily a form of punishment as a form of discipline. :)

Edited by Lancerlady

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The world, including drum corps, is much more politically correct than it was in our "good old days".

There are lots of things that staff members wouldn't dream of doing that were fairly commonplace back when.

Speaking of leg lift... http://www.anellomouthpieces.com/scv_4.jpg

Oh, and that's me, the second flag from the front :D

Maggie -- is that West Allis? The home of rewrite-squish-and relearn-your-drill-today-for-the-show-tonight? Wow!

I was on the field when just about all of them were in effect, it wasn't that bad.

The big difference back then was that Drum Corps was for anybody who wanted to join and were willing to learn, worked as a team and stayed. There were always a few that would corp jump.

Oh yea and a bugle was rotary/valve, we did not have trumpets, sorry I mean the modern 3 valve bugle

I'm "Old School"

Had Frank Kubinak as a Drill Instructor and if you made a mistake while marching or were out of the form you received a swift Kick in the *ss.

Today, corps travel with a Psychologist who sits you down to find the underlying reason as to why you are having trouble with the show ??

If you really messed up, your section had 15 seconds to help you remember not to make the mistake again !

Speaking of leg lift...  http://www.anellomouthpieces.com/scv_4.jpg

Oh, and that's me, the second flag from the front  :D

Maggie -- is that West Allis? The home of rewrite-squish-and relearn-your-drill-today-for-the-show-tonight? Wow!

Yup! The infamous Drum Corps show on a racecar track, West Allis :beer: ...andwe still had straight lines! Amazing...

Speaking of leg lift...  http://www.anellomouthpieces.com/scv_4.jpg

Oh, and that's me, the second flag from the front  :D

Yup! The infamous Drum Corps show on a racecar track, West Allis :wacko: ...andwe still had straight lines! Amazing...

Yeah, I thought that narrow wall in back looked familiar. The West Allis track was torn down about a year ago: another historic drum corps venue bites the dust. Although it was the sardine can show, it was a big-time show in its hey day in the 60s to early 70s.

Oh, by the way, what year is the pic? It looks like 1973?

All the Best :-)

Oh, by the way, what year is the pic? It looks like 1973?

All the Best :-)

Yes, I believe it's '73 during "Young Persons Guide".

Hmmm, wonder when the last show was there. Anyone know?

Edited by MsBusDriver

"Old School":

To StarContra's "Remember When" list:

Yes to numbers 1 through 20.

And can add: The "tour" was a trip to one or the other of the Veteran's National Chmpionships, (or both if they fell with a week or two of each other, and were on the same Coast) a drum corps season that never really "ended" with standstills and indy shows all winter long, and a "field" campaign that started in early May and ended in October.

The "National Dream", "Mission Drums", The "World Open & CYO Nationals", and the "Evening With the Corps at Carnagie Hall" Spring concerts sponsored by Drum Corps News.

Elphaba